promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Steven
Lv 4
Steven asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 2 months ago

If a fruit or vegetable is on offer does that mean it's in season ?

E.g in the UK we have an Aldi and Lidl and they both do super 6 deals, where they sell cheap fruits or vegetables it helps massively when eating healthy because I can set my meals around them ingredients each week. Just thinking tho on a fresh and nutrient point of view are these always best and seasonal. This week avacodos , potatoes and oranges are on offer near me in many supermarkets.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Not necessarily.  It just means they can get them at a good price so they can cut the price to you.  Or they happen to have a lot so they're trying to get rid of them.  Or they're selling them as a loss leader to attract you.  There are all kinds of reasons why a retailer might do a discount.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Being in season is one reason, but stores also put sales on based on how much they have purchased, how much a certain product cost at the time of purchase, and how old their stock is.

• 2 months ago

In the US, produce is labeled with it's country/area of origin. In the winter months, there are quite a few imported veggies and fruits even here in Florida. In the UK, I doubt that avocados and oranges are produced nearby.

• Clive
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

What does that have to do with being in season?

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Sometimes, but not always.

Grocery stores always have a few items on deep discount.  They're called "loss leaders".  The purpose is to lure customers in the store in hopes that they buy ALL of their groceries there, not just the loss leaders.

Sometimes the produce on special is in season.  Sometimes it's because distributors are trying to clear out inventory (like apples going on deep discount in August before the September harvest).   Sometimes the sales are related to public demand such as stuff for Mexican food (avocados, tomatoes, tomatillos, etc.) being on sale for Cinco de Mayo or cranberries being on sale at Christmas

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.