How do medications work? Do they trigger the body's own resources for healing?

If you can provide medical links to help me understand how medications work in the body that would be much appreciated.

I've always wondered how medications work on the body. Are the meds created to trigger the bodies own chemicals and resources or do they introduce a new chemical to it?

Example: If my doctor prescribes a drug to lower blood pressure does this drug trigger the bodies own chemicals to reduce the pressure and if it does, do all medications work like this?

I don't know if I was able to express this clearly. I'm pretty sure that this is covered in medical school so if you happen to know the answer, that would be great. If you want to post a guess, I don't think that guesses will help much because this question needs a proven medical answer which is why I asked for medical links.

Favorite Answer

Hello, Lucie, I am an MD. The great majority of drugs are "poisons". In other words, drugs usually disrupt a process that is occurring in the body. For instance, a diuretic will usually block the kidney's ability to conserve salt and water, which will then result in more salt and water to leave the body in your urine. Penicillin is an antibiotic that disrupts a bacteria's ability to make its outer peptidoglycan cell wall, causing said bacteria to explode and die. Medicines that control your blood pressure also block things through a number of mechanisms, such as a Calcium channel blocker will block the influx of Calcium ions into the smooth muscle of your blood vessels, causing them to dilate a little, which lowers the blood pressure within, as one example. Aspirin disrupts the prostaglandin pathways in your joints and in your platelets as another example.

A few "drugs" are not really drugs in the strictest sense, such as thyroid replacement hormone, or Potassium pills, and the like. They are just replacing and replenishing what should be there in the first place. 

The MD degree requires a huge amount of education and studying in order to have the wisdom to know what "poison" to administer to a given patient, and in what dosage. That is part and parcel to becoming an MD.

Cheers. 

P.S. It has been said that learning to become an MD is like trying to take a drink from a fire hose. I agree with this. 

• Lucie1 month agoReport

Thank you for taking the time to respond!  This is what I was looking for.

• Zirp

"How do medications work?

It varies widely

"Do they trigger the body's own resources for healing?"

Most allopathic meds definitely don't. Vaccines do

it depends on what youre taking

No, most interfere with and block the body's natural operations. For example re blood pressure: Bisoprolol blocks the beta receptors in the heart, lowering the heart rhythm (pulse). Amlodipine is a calcium channel blocker, preventing calcium from entering the cells of your heart and arteries; Olmesartan blocks a substance in your body called angiotensin II (which narrows your blood vessels).

For full details, google those 3 well known blood pressure control drugs.

For the blood pressure one, I believe it blocks the effects of adrenaline, therefore causing a lower heart rate and lower force.