Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceOther - Business & Finance · 1 month ago

disability?

I received a letter stating I earned too much certain months I worked . I literally totaled 14000 in a year , clearly I don't work much.  they say I'm eligible for 3 more years but my payments stopped? I'm confused and office closed . I'm so scared . I won't survive and can not work enough hours to even pay my re t and utilities , plus they say I owe 5 grand!!! I'm like 40 bucks in bank here. extreme ptsd like . my question I guess is how am I on disability for 3 more years but not getti g benefits ? 

• Judith
    Favorite Answer

Are you talking about social security disability in the US?  In 2019 wages of $1240 a month was considered to be substantial and gainful work activity (SGA).  SGA amounts vary each year.  You've completed the 9 month trial work period.  If your earnings AVERAGED SGA then you are no longer entitled to disability benefits except you will be entitled to a social security benefit in the next 3 years for any month in which you don't earn $1260 (2020 SGA amount).

You should have been more careful when you worked.   You certainly should have known what was going to happen if you bothered to read up on social security disability benefits when someone works - there are two pamphlets on the subject plus you could have read up on it at ssa.gov - social security's website.

Sounds like you didn't bother to report work activity like you were supposed to (and no one will believe that you didn't know) and they found out about your work activity when your earnings finally showed up on their records.  Earnings in 2019, for example, won't show up on their records until 2021.  By the time earnings show up on social security records, a person can have earned themselves a considerable overpayment because they received benefits for a lot of months they shouldn't have.

What to do?  You deal with the overpayment.  You contact your nearest office and make arrangements to pay it back in installments.  If you can't pay it back in 36 months then you are going to have to complete form SSA-632 and provide proof of all income and expenses.  And if you work you make damn sure you don't earn $1260 a month; they can start taking out the overpayment from your monthly benefits which will be due you in the next 36 months (called the extended period of eligibility) if you work and don't earn $1260 a month.

The overpayment will NOT be waived because it was your fault in having caused it - even if you can't afford to pay it back.

I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.

• Judith
      4 weeks agoReport

It's pretty simple.  Don't earn $1260 a month.  Tell your boss you can't afford to lose an entire month's benefit if you do or to pay it back if you shouldn't have received the benefit in the 1st place.  Learn to say no

• Judy

If you got money you were not entitled to, you have to pay it back. Until it's paid back, any benefits due to you will go to the paying back, not to you.

To be considered permanently disabled, you must have less than $1,170 per month in earned income.  It appears that you earned slightly more than $14000 because the cut off would be $14052.

Sorry, but like the rest of us, you have to figure out how to make due with what you have.

- you aren't working full time, so you may have to get a full time job.

• Judith
      4 weeks agoReport

It hasn't been $1170 in years.  In 2019 it was $1240 and in 2020 it is $1260.  It goes up each year.

• Maxi

No idea you will need to contact the benefit agency and ask