Hi everyone, I have a detached garage that is flooding. What should I do or what kind of professional should I be speaking with?

• 1 week ago

Assuming that water is not coming from a broken pipe or a leaky roof....

Flooding indoors, particularly in a garage, is easy to rectify by rerouting the course of the water when it rains.

If you install gutters and downspouts which funnel the water away from your foundation, flooding can be prevented.

If you re grade the soil so that its slopes away from your foundation then that can help with water coming into your garage.

If you have a driveway that slopes toward the garage door, and if that's how water is entering the garage, installing a French drain in your driveway to divert the water to the side will prevent it from flooding your driveway.

If you go outside in a downpour rainstorm, you can easily determine the flow of the water to see where it needs attention on rerouting the water away from the house.

If that door leads outside and the ground is at the height of the door, the probable is that water is flowing from the outside into and under the door and the foundation of the garage.  A soil engineer is probably the person to tell you exactly how to regrade your land so that water flows away from the foundation.  You'll need a foundation expert to decide if you need to reinforce or replace all or some of the foundation as well.  

some is coming in under the floor ...its very cracked ..however it shows a door ?where does this lead to ?..you say its detached ..the door is higher than floor ..on this basis you floor is too low for surrounding ground levels ...you floor should be above external ground levels by at least 4"

The water is coming in from the outside.  If you have been having a lot of rain hitting the door then you know that is why.  You need an overhanging roof over the door so it don't get hit as much.   Nothing you can do right now. In my area I got snow so I do not do work in the winter.  I got all summer to correct this.  It will dry on its own  Just move steel and other metal and cardboard boxes and wood away from the wet areas...for now.  It will eventually dry up.  Then talk to a building supply store regarding the issue, though you should also have a picture of the outside as well.

I do know what water infiltration looks like.  I can't guess the reason.

It may be one of those DIY type jobs.  Done real quick.  Maybe it is a French drain situation.

There could be a busted water pipe under the flooring.  Check if the water meter is running when all the faucets in the house are off.  If it is, call a water leak repair company or a plumber first.  If it is not, might be time for a contractor.

You need to figure out where the water is coming from, first. If your friends and family can't help you with that, your next step should be a soil engineer. Once you figure out what's causing the problem, you can call a licensed contractor to correct the problem, either inside or outside, whatever is necessary. If you just want to call a good construction contractor, they can contact a soil engineer for the job if they think it's necessary.