Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 weeks ago

How should you handle this?

Your coworker, Mary, asks if you’re interested in joining a Super Bowl squares pool, and if so, give $5 to Jane. Jane is someone you never interact with and you’re not sure she even likes you. Should you wait and see if Jane invites you herself, since she’s the one running it, or should you just give her the money and say Mary invited you.

I personally would do nothing as I don't do anything for the Superbowl, but if you're interested you should ask Jane if she's the one you give money to for the party, as Mary invited you.

i would give the money to jane

Say something along the line of "I'm here to get in on the Super bowl pool.  Here's my five dollars."  It's not rocket science.

you don't wait for an invite from Jane--you put your money in an envelope with your name...tell her that Mary told you about the pool and that you are in.

1st I would check to see if gambling is allowed at your place of employment before you participate. 

• Jerry

"Hey Jane, Mary told me you're running a Superbowl betting pool?" 

I would do as instructed by Mary if I was interested in participating. If not interested, I would do nothing. Whether or not Jane likes me or not is inconsequential to participating in the super bowl pool. If the Super Bowl pool was a party, then you might want to confirm you are welcome first, but that isn't the case here.

i would give the money to jane since its her superbowl

I would politely say,   Mary, said you are running the Superbowl  pool, and to speak to you  if I want in. How does it work? 

and leave it at that.   She'll either happily and take your money, or make some lame excuse that the pool is full...........