Can I run a quarter mile of Cat 6 to get cable TV at my house, then switch back to coax? Cable company won't do it. No Fios here :(?

Update:

My house is by the highway, and has comcast, but my neighbor lives down a long lane, and they won't run cable down to him.  He has to settle for DSL.  We were talking about running Cat6 cable down the lane, and switching back to coax for comcast.  I know you can't run RG-6 that far (1/4 mile).  Will Cat6 carry the same signal that RG6 will, with no signal loss?  

Update 2:

By Cat 6 I meant Fiber optic cable.  I thought Cat 6 WAS fiber, apparently its trash copper cable like RG6.  Instead of using amplifiers, why not convert the coax cable into fiber for a long run?  

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Simon
    Lv 5
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Cat 5e, Cat 6 etc... Are not trash first of all. They are rated for gigabit internet speeds and are the preferred option for modern networking. But they are not meant to span lengths over 328 ft. After 328 ft, they will start to lose signal strength very quickly. 

RG6 is the same. You need Fiber Optics ideally! Plus you need to usually bury the cable to keep lawn mowers and animals who may like to chew on it from doing so. Plus you will need amplification. This can also be done with copper, but amplification is needed along the route even more so. And the copper has to be shielded very well from RF interference. So high quality cable with shielding is a necessity! 

Plus you have to match up the proper cabling to the source of the signal that the cable company is using. And if it's fiber, then you need a converter, to convert the fiber optics to coax for the home TV. Fiber uses light while copper uses analog signaling that is converted by your cable box and TV. 

You can't just run fiber to your TV directly.

Plus keep in mind what your talking about is illegal. And the cable company will find out because they can simply test the signal and find a unnatural draw on the signal or will see the hook up to your home eventually.     

• ...Show all comments
    • ron h
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Andre, Comcast won't run cable down to the neighbor.  In rural areas driveways can be  hundreds of feet or miles  long. An ISP won't spend thousand to bury cable to ONE customer. But if people run their own cable to the street, the ISP will connect.them.

• Login to reply the answers
  • khalil
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i assume 450 meters ... for one meter there will be 0.2 db attenuation (UHF) so 90 db ....

usually. the line amplifier is 20db so you need five amplifiers.(every 90 meters)

consult with an antenna engineer

• 1 month ago

No, but there are other types of co-ax that you Can run that far.

Consult in person with a local broadcast engineer

or a similar expert on RF and transmission lines.

• 1 month ago

can you run the fiber line down where you want... yes (it will cost alot to get a company out to pull the line and term it)

plus the fiber has to be compatible with the ISP fiber.

realistically you will need to build a network termination point for the ISP to place their equipment then convert it to your own fiber line...

fiber requires special connectors on each end....

you are looking at 10-15k to get it all setup and installed.

or you can buy a directional microwave antenna and offer to have it installed at the ISP end as well (wireless transmitting the speeds ) which is much cheaper (2-3k in total)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

i would ask the cable company about it

• They won't run lines down long driveways, so I wanted to know if you could run Fiber down the driveway, then switch back for cable tv at the end.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.