Can I put P265/70R/17 tires on my 2012 Silverado 1500 long bed instead of P245/70R/17 that it calls for without damage to truck?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

In the rear yes, in front you will loose turning radius with the wider tiers. If it is 4 wheel drive stick with what the truck calls for the wider tier is a little thicker/higher and can mess up the drive train! If the front and rear are not the same size tier!

• Login to reply the answers
  • Poppy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

265 is a wider tire, but should be fine. Consult a tire shop.

• 1 month ago

its 20mm wider and sidewalls 14mm taller  ..on a truck that should be ok 

• 1 month ago

Usually the problem is front end clearance with the suspension parts and or the inner fenders. Possibly the outer fender when wheel is turned and you are turning or running over a bump that causes the suspension to recoil. The tire shops usually have a list of tire sizes that will fit a particular vehicle. You will lose traction on wet pavement and snow and ice with a tire that has a wider footprint. You will be distributing the same amount of weight over a wider area. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ron
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

turn the tire lock to lock and measure...if you have more than an inch or so clearance

• 1 month ago

i would ask a mechanic about it

• Barry
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Measure the existing clearance between the tire and bodywork on full lock both sides. That's what matters.

Lv 7
    1 month ago

You can always adjust the front torsion bar to prevent rubbing on hard turns.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.