promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

American Mooncake recipe?

I want to try and make mooncakes for the Chinese New Year, but it’s very hard to find the ingredients where I live in America (specifically red bean paste, lye water, and golden syrup) and ordering online is expensive. Does anyone know a good recipe for red bean mooncakes I can make with American ingredients? Thanks in advance. 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You’re telling me that there’s not a single Chinese supermarket in the city where you live. That’s usually where I go when I need Chinese groceries. I need bamboo for hot and sour soup. To the Chinese supermarket. Shiitake mushrooms?  Chinese supermarket. 

For lye water, just dissolve some baking soda in water and heat it up to dissolve it completely. 

Use honey for the golden syrup. Great thing about honey is that you can add a particular flavor to it depending on what flowers the bees get the pollen from. If it’s from orange blossoms, honey will have an orange flavor to it. 

• Sarah2 months agoReport

That sounds like some east substitutes thank you! And no, no Chinese markets anywhere near me, I’ve been looking for years. Thank you. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

you could try and see if amazon has them

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You can make your own red bean paste.  There are several recipes online.  This one has images to help - https://www.justonecookbook.com/how-to-make-anko-r...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.