Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 3 weeks ago

I have a problem with my wife wanting to adopt my kids?

I have 3 daughters, ages 12, 10, and 8. My first wife passed away 7 years ago in a car wreck. I remarried 5 years ago.

My wife asked me if she could legally adopt my daughters, I told her "no" and I don't feel comfortable with it. She went on to complain to her parents and siblings about it.

I explained to them that my girls have so much of my first wife's looks and features and that I don't want it to happen.

What do I do about this?

So you think adopting them will change their looks?

• GB

When your second wife married you, she took on your family. She mistakenly thought that by asking to adopt them, she was showing her love, and to her you've thrown it back in her face.  Your reason sounds petty.  You won't be betraying the girls' mother by allowing the adoption. Would you feel better about it if they looked like you?

I

Look at the following site to see if there are any pitfalls about adoption.

www.hg.org › legal-articles › what-is-the-difference-between-adoptio...

What is the Difference Between Adoption and Guardianship ...

But one that often confuses people is the difference between adoption and guardianship. Does one have to adopt a child in order to act like a parent and be ...

Don't even think of letting her adopt them.  If for any reason the marriage doesn't work out you will be paying big bucks for child support.  In states like MA, the woman always get the children no matter what and their support age is 23, not 18.

Simply give your wife brain damage and tell her she doesn't want to adopt kids

• e9601:

How could this possibly be a problem to you? You have a wife now that loves your kids and wants to be their step mom. How is this a problem? Just because the kids look like your late wife has no bearing on this. You need to seek counseling, your kids need a "mom" in their life.

I am just curious … what do you think will happen if she is allowed to adopt your kids?  A spouse who suggests this in your scenario does so out of love for your kids and their desire to lose the "step" connotation and become a real Mom to your kids and allowing her parents and other family to claim your kids as family the rest of their lives.  I am not suggesting you are wrong to resist this desire, but before you make any decisions you should have all the information including how your kids feel about it.  This act of love should be known to them too and they are all old enough to understand it.  The two younger ones likely have only known your wife as mom anyway.

Practice your writing skills.

• helene

So, you're fine with your wife having NO legal responsibility to, or authority over,  your children if YOU should suddenly die. 

And you don't want your children to automatically be your wife's heirs or next of kin, either.

Interesting way to show you care. 

That's not how it works

You should have discussed this before you two got married.