Is it legal for a private school to publicly list the names of those who are doing well and those who arent?

I go to a private school in Massachusetts, which recently decided that they will have a system to shame but also reward attitude in school by putting up a list of students right in the middle of the hallway shaming those who misbehaved in class and also showing who was doing well. It offers no guidelines for improvement and is a smack in the face with no constructive criticism to those who might be suffering or have something else going on that causes them to act up.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Ooooo, you poor Snowflake.  Do you have PTSD as a result of this?

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

Of course it's legal, even in thses days of snowflakes. Schools publish rankings.

• 4 weeks ago

Sure. I'd guess many public schools could do the same thing.  While it may not be a great motivator to have those who aren't doing well listed for all to see, the reality is that most kids are already well aware of which kids are doing the best and worst both academically and behaviorally.  It isn't an invasion of privacy per se.

Since private schools are funded by tuition, parents and other benefactors would have a strong influence on the school's policy.   If the parents don't like it, they'll complain.  At the same time, private schools also have more leeway in "releasing" students who are unwilling or unable to meet classroom expectations.  

• Laurie
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

If the parents put up with this, they don’t deserve to have children.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

I don't know if it's illegal, but it's certainly a bad strategy. People are not motivated by being shamed. Incentives work much better.

What the FERPA law says is that schools cannot disclose grades or personal information without the consent of the student, or the parents if the student is under 18. It doesn't say anything about posting lists of students' names. I know many schools that post lists of students who have excelled- on the honor roll, or top in reading the accelerated reading books, etc.  I would think that the parents of the students in that school would object to their kids' names being posted as punishment.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.