Dagno asked in HealthDental · 4 weeks ago

Is “eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth” punishment just?

Favorite Answer

Transcendence is better and far more Holy, Brian.  According to Gandhi, "An eye for an eye means the whole world will be blind" (or words to this effect).  These are the words my granddaughter chose to paint on a boarded window in Ferguson in the aftermath of a white trigger-happy anger-issues cop's brutal murder of an unarmed black teenager named Michael Brown, or "Big Mike" as his folks called him.  The cop later had to confess that the altercation which culminated in murder was "for jaywalking."  To their great credit, the Ferguson population of  mostly blue-collar workers not only did not retaliate, but these good Americans tried to prevent looting by McCullough-paid thugs from other communities to discredit the community and thereby sway McCullough's grand jury against Ferguson or Michael Brown and for the killer cop.  

Might does NOT make "right."  

depends on what they did

Only if you want a society full of blind and toothless people.

Sounds right to me.

• Linda

In the old testament it was like that and I think if it was like that now, the crime rate would be a lot less. I think if you murder someone in cold blood you should lose your life as well. If you steal, you should have to pay back what you stole. Consequences should meet the crime and nobody should be above the law.

Source(s): Life experience

You decide to screw around with me, don't whine what happens to you.

No, its not. Its fails to take into account nuance, and reasons for things.

It also means that the person dealing rhe punsihment is just as abd as the person who cimmitted the crime.

"An eye for an eye just makes the whole world blind."