Can I use concrete screws for joist hangers?

Attachment image

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

In wood?  No!

Don't be a retard!

Use joist hanger screws of the proper length. Or large enough (long enough), deck screws. That's what I do. I've never had a problem. I don't like nails either. 

Similarly, use only concrete screws for concrete.

• 1 month ago

what are you hanging these joists from?  That's what's critical -- example:  in standard American southern single family construction, the pre-fab trusses [joists, rafters, and posts between them] rest ON TOP OF the concrete block walls.  This because masonry is strong in compression, but fractures under tension.  [the trusses are attached to the header row of the cbs wall with straps fixed in the concrete of the header and double nailed into the trusses.]

Source(s): grampa
    • Manny1 month agoReport

Im hanging Ceiling Joist...

• Login to reply the answers
  • Barry
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Yes but prefabricated hangers are better. Used with standard screws. See link.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

as long as they are rated at least as strong in both shear strength and pull out as the fasteners you’re supposed to use

never seen them used for hangers but I have seen the simpson structural screws used

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

The type of screw is determined by what you are securing TO, not by what you are hanging.

• 1 month ago

No they are not long enough

• 1 month ago

if you need screws for joist hangers then they must be different to european hangers ..ours fit in the bed joint of the internal block walls ...and if your talking joist straps they are different but do same job ...but those screws of yours are far bigger than the holes in side of straps ..

• Dze
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

yeah they work great as long as the head supports your material and you dont need a finished look ..use an appropriate washer if necessay

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

"washer"?  We recently had a deck replaced and all of the joist hangers required nails and they did not use any "washers" on any of the nails. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.