Do most people go there whole life working or do most people have unemployment gaps?

For example, I'm 25. Would it be more normal for me to work 30 years straight and always have a job, or maybe work 5 years, lose a job for 6 months, then get a new job, etc...

Their

• Bort

It's a choice that people choose differently. Myself, personally, I choose to take breaks and enjoy life while I'm young and able to because I thought about it when I was younger and decided to do it that way. Doing it the way I've decided to doesn't do my retirement fund(s) any good, people who work 30+ years straight gain much more in a retirement plan, but then those people who work 30 or more years straight don't get to retire until after they're 60 or older and it's possible their health has declined a bit. A 60 year old rarely ever has the energy and agility of a 20 to 40 year old person.

I think the ratio would lean more toward people who work for a long period of time and less toward people like me who take quite a bit of time off between jobs to enjoy them selves or relax.

In my opinion we should have fun and enjoy life as we're young and healthy enough that we can. We only get one go at this part of life.

Many people have employment gaps.

It's not uncommon for people to take time off to have children, recover from illness/injury, obtain further education, travel, care for an elderly parent or other relative or whatever life throws their way.

As an employer, applicants with employment gaps do not bother me one bit.   If they can afford to take a year off to travel around Africa or write a book, more power to them. 

Many people's "gaps" in employment really don't show up on a resume because taking a leave of absence and then returning to the same job isn't the same thing as resigning a job and then finding new employment later. 

Today, employment gaps in many industries are very normal.  Not desirable, but simply a part of life. The higher up in a organization your job is, the higher your salary, the fewer opening for you desired position there are, the longer it takes to get a new job.  If you lose a job due to a change in the company's circumstances (bankruptcy, merger, etc.) it will be easier to find a new job than if you were let go due to failure on your own part.  

• John

During my employment gaps I turned looking for a job into a job until I found a job.