Anonymous

Having a really hard time finding a new job ?

So I work at this restaurant and it was all good until they cut my hours. I have asked them multiple times to give me more hours and they always say of course but in the end they never did. I even put in my 2 week notice one time but they convinced me to stay. I have been applying to many jobs but I keep getting rejection emails and not even an interview. I don’t even mind working in fast food. What should I do? 

My guess about why they are slashing your hours is due to poor business, if it were about you not doing well on the job they would have confronted you and/or just let you quit.

Usually when a restaurant is losing money, they will look for ways to "trim the fat", this can mean firing people/limiting hours, getting rid of certain products, cutting business hours etc. The goal of a company is to make a profit, not to lose money! In your case it seems they are trying to limit staff hours, it seems very reasonable to me, although I can see why you'd be impacted by it too.

I can tell you that the restaurant I work at, has had poor turn outs for the past 6 months or longer! In the fall, a lot of our staffs hours got slashed (mine included), we have gotten rid of cardboard products to limit the amount of waste cost etc.

What should you do? Stick it out- This buys you time to a) look for another job b) for business to potentially pick back up and for your hours to increase.

Keep applying, find it surprising you are having a tough time with the current economy.

Maybe you should stop farting during interviews

You need something a lot of people don't have, something that doesn't take long to get but a niche so that you apply to jobs that don't have a sea of other applicants. A fork lift truck licence takes a couple of weeks to get, a first aid course takes a few days, my security badge took a week to get and only 100,000 or so other people have one so I get jobs.