Are pre-built gaming PC's any good?

I'm looking into getting a gaming PC, wish I knew enough to have a custom made PC however even after doing research the whole specs and what is compatible and what isn't just goes completely over my head. So are the pre built ones any good I.e chillblast? Also I'd be looking at around the £1000 price range

I remember my first build. We didn't have pcpartpicker back then so I saved my builds to a newegg shopping cart. I was a little perplexed by compatibility and what I'd need but I kept on matching parts and reading reviews about those parts. 

What helped me a lot is I intended to upgrade a dead Dell that had a Pentium 4. I knew that I'd need a new CPU and motherboard to pull off the upgrade, and I assumed that I'd need new RAM. Then as I started to do more research and ask questions on forums, I figured that none of the parts in the old Dell were worth keeping. On top of that, my old Dell was slow and I wasn't able to run the programs I wanted with it so I knew I wanted a PC with a powerful processor. I was able to build a PC around the CPU I wanted. 

In the end I spent most of the budget on the CPU and I got a budget Video Card that was capable of playing PC games. I saved about $300 over something I could buy at the store and I saved $500 over a comparable Alienware. 

pcpartpicker makes this Super Simple with their compatibility list and their build list almost forces you to consider every part you'd need. The pcpartpicker list will spot incompatibilities so if you follow that then you should be Golden. 

As long as you pay attention to the system specs (& tend to nitpick them...  especially if you're going with laptop), factory built systems should perform as good as DIY built systems with the added benefit of having a unified warranty, in case something does go wrong (you only have one company to call instead of a handful trying to figure out what component is malfunctioning & how to fix it).

In terms of pricing, a factory built system may cost up to ~$200 US (~£153) more over DIY... which taking your time into consideration (using ~$20 / hr for personal work & ~$50 / hr for a professional computer specialist's work for assembly, OS installation & incidental troubleshooting.  This is also excluding shipping times for DIY components), will make things negligible in terms of cost benefits.  If the pricing difference was considerably higher for a mid-to-high end system (around ~$500 US / ~£ 372.48 or more), going DIY might be worth it.

While you'll have to do your own research & shop around, I hope this does shed some light on the subject.

Depends on who made them.  Most are better then the intended customer could build themselves.