Should AIRLINES have the right to BAN 'emotional support animals' from flights?

U.S. 'Department of Transportation' - otherwise known as the DOT - has proposed a new policy that would give airlines the right to ban emotional support animals from flights.

https://us.yahoo.com/lifestyle/department-of-trans...

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Yes. If you are incapable of flying without your pacifier/baby blanket then you should not be flying.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Any person who is so insecure as to require an "emotional support animal" probably should not be traveling in the first place. The vast majority of these people are simply trying to avoid paying baggage fees for their pets. Perhaps the airlines should simply charge a full fare for each "emotional support animal".

• 1 month ago

YES!!!!! They should. It's ridiculous in such a tight space to try and get a goat or very large dog on a flight

• 1 month ago

99.9% of "emotional support animals are pure b--lsh--t The idiots that try to bring them on planes should also be banned.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

If you were to ban idiots from flying the US airlines would go out of business.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

If that's what their animals are 'emotional support animals' then yes, but not all animals that look as if they'er their owners pets are pets, some animals mainly certain breeds of dogs can be trained to detect an episode or attack of some disease's (by scent, the owners body before an attack or episode emits an odour that is only detectable by trained dogs), what these decease's or medical condition are I'm not sure, but Epilepsy and certain types of Diabetes might be two of them.

• denlp96
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

What you are describing is a service animal, not an "emotional support" animal.

• Huh?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Afraid so.  The airlines are ultimately responsible for the safe operation of their aircraft, and if they think certain animals might compromise that, safety comes first.

• 1 month ago

You mean I can’t take my emotional support Bengal tiger on a flight? You heartless båstard!

• 1 month ago

Unfortunately I think so.  Mainly because people abuse by saying they have an Emotional Support Dog, when they don't.   Sadly those who have legitimate dogs will be the loosers.   I also believe however, that perhaps if possible each situation should be considered individually, not necessarily have a blanket ban.   I don't think this is appropriate for any dog (in the cabin), or other passengers, on a long-haul flight.   They'd be far better travelling in the hold. 

I've not read lthis link btw.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, they should. If a passenger needs an emotional support animal, then they should get that animal trained and certified and their need documented by a physician.

Obviously guide dogs for the blind go through such a process, and they cause no problems on flights. Other service animals, same thing.

It's when people with untrained pets claim to "need" them that the situation got bad. Airlines tried to accommodate most, but when people started bringing peacocks, miniature donkey, and goats they could not control aboard, something had to change.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No, they shouldn't.

• canadacraig
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Because someone has emotional problems - I should have to sit next to them and their 'support pig' for 8 hours on an airplane? 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.