promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Strep Throat?

My son has swollen lymph nodes under his jaw on both sides, was very cold all of yesterday but now seems to have a mild fever, his nose is congested, intermittent head ache in the back of his head and had sore muscles in his arms yesterday. I got a picture of his throat this morning

Attachment image

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Do you see that arc of bright red in his throat? That's usually a sign of strep throat (according to my daughter's pediatrician). Your son's tonsils are also very swollen and covered in tonsil stones (those white spots); tonsillitis is also a strep infection. So get your son to the doctor (or a walk-in clinic) and get his throat swabbed for strep. If he has strep, the doctor will prescribe antibiotics and your son will be feeling better soon.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

How his throat looks isn't a good indication of whether he has a cold, the flu, strep, or something else.  That's why you need a test of cells from a throat swap to see if it is bacteria or virus and what kind. Either take him to an urgent care clinic or call your pediatrician's office.  You can treat symptoms with OTC pain and fever medications, but the "cure" for strep is a course of antibiotics.  If it is the flu, he needs to been diagnosed today if he is going to get an antiviral medication.  

• Bill
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If it is, Yahoo Answers can't prescribe antibiotics. Get your son to a doctor.

• 2 months ago

I would guess the mucus from his cold/flu is dripping down the back of his throat causing inflammation--once his viral infection has passed and his nose is clear the throat will resolve.  keep him hydrated-in bed....warm drinks and soups will help loosen phlegm and keep mucus thin.  lozenges and chloroseptic can help with any throat pain.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.