Can't get baby to sleep in his bassinet. Help !?

I have a 10 week old who I have had to hold while sleeping since he was born. He will not sleep in his bassinet he will cry and scream once I lay him down. I've tried swaddling and he hates that even more. Any suggestions ?

• Leanne

Put a rolled up towel on the each side of his body so he thinks hes being held,  this is assuming you put him to sleep on his back...

• Ranchmom1
      4 weeks agoReport

Suffocation hazard.

You may want to try a device that provides gentle vibration:

https://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Lulla-Vibe-Vibrati...

And white noise, such as a fan turned on low and pointed away from the baby.

Too bad you were dumb enough to get this started

Of course he will cream when you put him down but it will do him no harm so put him in the bassinet and leave him to scream for around 10 minutes and do this every day until he realises you wont lift - long time ago when my daughter was a baby we were told to let her scream for 15 minutes as it exercise her lungs - if you don't teach him now he will be a spoilt child, Good Luck

A toddler this age possibly hasn't quite settled in yet .... might need some more time to adjust .

• LizB
      4 weeks agoReport

10 weeks old is a newborn, not a toddler.

Doctors will tell you to let him scream until he wear himself out and falls asleep. You will eventually have to do this. Have you tried one of the automated swings? That could be another way and would also probably require a couple of hours of screaming and crying. You cannot hold a baby 24 hours per day. I remember my kid not letting me sit down and hold her in a rocking chair at 3 in the morning - I had to be standing and walking.

I know this is hard, but the reality is that your baby has trained you to do what he wants. He cries and you hold him -- so he cries to be held.  When crying no longer gets the result he wants, he'll stop.  Really.  You just need to make sure that he is feed, clean, dry, and safe.  

You cannot be a healthy and effective parent if you are sleep deprived.  Your choices are to try the CryIt Out method.  Let him cry for 1 minute.  Reassure him with soft words, a smile, and a little touch. Then you let it go for another minute.  Work up.  Feel free to put on some music and or have a mobile or projected lights to "entertain" and distract him.  

I'm not sure you understood your pediatrician correctly.  Setting a sleep routine and your child's bedtime expectations should start in the first month.  

https://www.fatherly.com/parenting/how-to-sleep-tr...

Your other option is to co-sleep. There are pros and cons to this method and something you should discuss with your husband/partner.

I had the same problem. Doctor said just let him scream, he will eventually go to sleep. He was right.