Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicComics & Animation · 4 weeks ago

What was so abundantly 'awful' about Resident Evil 6 and what was so abundantly 'amazing' about Resident Evil 4?  ?

To me outside of Leon S. Kennedy, Ada Wong and Wesker being involved Resident Evil 4 doesn't even feel like it is connected to RE whereas Resident Evil 6 connected all the various styles of RE in one game between each section: Chris Redfield/Piers Nivans chapter [Action/Horror], Leon S. Kennedy/Helena Harper chapter [Puzzle/horror] and Jake Muller /Sherry Birkin chapter [Survival horror] with the Ada Wong chapter tying all three together.  I felt that it had a coherent plot which brought back zombies, I don't really understand the hate RE6 gets or the praise RE4 still receives. 

"Resident Evil 4 had more atmosphere, more of a focus, and a lot of people welcomed the break from the convoluted arc-plotting of the wider series in favour of a more self-contained story."  Atmosphere?  Focus?  When does RE4 have any of this you jump from a village to a castle to a laboratory.  Resident Evil 4's plot is probably the most convoluted out of all the RE games.

Outside of 1 hit deaths from the chainsaw guy, when or where does RE4 produce any fear.

• Raditz

One thing that RE 4 were highly praised was due to the 3rd person view, which was a rarity on a horror games back in those days (most games were using tank controls and fixed camera). With that, you really need to check on your surroundings, since you won't know what's creeping behind you.

After RE 4, many horror games were quickly follows on the usage of 3rd person view, and it has become a norm until this day.

Meanwhile, RE 6 was criticized due to its gameplay, where it shifted from survival horror, to your usual 3rd person shooter action game. Many people said that it doesn't resemble any RE games, due to its focus on the action part, instead of survival.

But despite that, it still currently holds the record of best-selling Resident Evil game with more than 9 million copies sold accross all platforms. So many people prefer this kind of game, since it was much easier to play for the mass market.

Is this Groovy Thing?

Resident Evil 4 had more atmosphere, more of a focus, and a lot of people welcomed the break from the convoluted arc-plotting of the wider series in favour of a more self-contained story. It also managed to scare me at times, which RE6 never really did. I do think RE6 is underrated, but RE4 is still a great game in my opinion and probably the better of the two.