John asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 3 weeks ago

Is technology closer for two men or two women to have a biological child of their own?

I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately and i was just wondering if technology is close to having two same sex partners who can conceive a biological child through surrogacy? Honestly I think the technology is out there already, if 3 people can be the biological parents of one child then how can’t two women or men? Idk. Anyways what do you all think? Is the technology out there already? Or are we close to having it soon? Please leave some informal and good answers below. Have a blessed one everybody!

• Zirp

It's all theoretical. We assume that it's easier for two women, because sperms lack mitochondria. Chromosome-wise, two ova could theoretically create a baby-girl - not a boy, as women don't have a Y-chromosome.  In practice, attempts at doing this have not succeeded. So apparently we are overlooking something in the sperm that is necessary to create a viable zygote

• Kieth

If they conjoin two eggs, they will divide and create a baby with a missing chromosome. Two sperm put together does nothing.

• John3 weeks agoReport

But can scientists turn a male skin cell into an egg in order for another sperm to fertilize it? Is real the question. 

Women cant produce sperm and men arent born with eggs as women are so there will always have to be a third party to do so if two people of the same biological sex are trying to have kids.

• John3 weeks agoReport

I know that! But I’m asking is it possible that there is technology out there where two same sex parents can conceive a biological child through surrogacy?