Rejecting a job offer whilst waiting for a better one?

I graduated last year and since my summer internship ended four months ago, I have been vigorously job hunting. Last week I was in the fortunate position of landing 4 job interviews. They all went relatively well, although I've since had one rejection but one job offer!

This offer was through a recruitment agency and the agent is keen for me to make a decision ASAP. But the only problem is I'm waiting on feedback from a better job. Don't get me wrong this job is respectable, but the other one would allow me to get into the broadcasting industry which is a very competitive field.

I've been told I need to make a decision by EOP Monday but I won't hear from the other position until later in the week. I feel my only option is to reject it and take a gamble. But how can I respectfully decline the offer without angering the recruiter? I feel this is something I need to do for my future ambitions.

Update:

Update: 

I emailed the other company on Monday asking them when I could expect feedback and that I had another offer with the deadline of today. The recruiter replied saying they are waiting to hear back from the manager, within an hour I had a job offer! I definitely think telling them about my other offer helped to secure my position.As for the other job offer and recruitment consultant, I emailed to tell him I have decided to decline the offer. No response. 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • DEBS
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

    The recruiter may have put a false deadline on this to pressure you into accepting.  They get paid on commission so need sales/close deals.  It's the life they've chosen.

    You don't actually need to reject the offer.  You can tell them you need a week.  If they say, 'Now or never', then you decide if you accept it (and quit before you start) or you just let it go.  If you really need a job, I would take it and then quit if you get the other one.  You basically warned them when you said you needed a week to decide.  You're going to make some middle manager at a company you'll never care to work at later upset, but these things happen. 

     

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

    Welcome to life.  You can call the company with the broadcasting industry position on Monday morning and let them know the truth -- you've been offered a job and you'd like to know whether or not you are under serious consideration.  They may or may not tell you, but at least you can try.   

    Or, you can tell the recruiter you need extra time, and DEBS said, recruiters want to seal the deal and get paid.  The employer may not be in as big a rush as you've be told.  If you say you need more time, they will either agree or say, sorry it's now or never and you'll make your choice.If you accept the job offer, you have a job but you'll resent it if you get offered the one you really want. If you pass on this "sure thing," you could lose out on the other job(s) and it could be months before you get another interview.  Only you know your financial situation or the current market for your skills.  

    • DEBS
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

      Yes, I didn't point out the other angle of discussing your other deadline with the potential employer you're waiting for to see if you're even in the running. It's a great angle as well and a chance to talk with them to show them you have great interest in them.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

    If this job is acceptable, you accept it.

    The recruitment agency and the employer know you are interviewing with other places.

    Even though the other firm said this week, there is no guarantee that this week doesn't turn into next week or even what the next steps will be if you are invited to them.

    If you eventually get an offer from this other company, you weigh the pros and cons and determine which job is better in the long run.  If it's the one with broadcasting experience, you just have to tell the current employer sorry but a better opportunity has arisen.  It happens - from entry level positions to the CEO...

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

    In my opinion, you should accept the job you've been offered. However, if you decide to decline, explain why to the recruiter. A decent recruiter wouldn't get angry.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    Accept the job and cancel it if you get a better offer.  Who cares about the recruiter this happens every day. You can't mess up your life for a person you hardly  know. This is business they work for you.

    Toughen up.

    • ...Show all comments
    • DEBS
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

      Signing something means nothing other than agreeing to the salary package & employment terms.  You can ALWAYS quit whenever you want even before your first day. It'll piss people off, but they'd do the same to you.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    You accept it, you just don't sign anything until you hear then you have the option of changing your mind and taking another job if offered

    • ...Show all comments
    • Hmm very true, just the thought of letting down both the recruiter and the company is what gets me. I don't like to let people down. 

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.