Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

Why aren't i losing weight? ?

I was 128 pounds at the start of this year and haven't lost any weight since? I'm 5"5 btw. Also iv been drinking 1.5 liters of water per day and doing 1 hour exercise everyday (it's usually walking) also I've been eating less than 1300 calories most days although sometimes I do go up to 1500 calories but I always burn off the excess calories with exercise. I know stress can cause weight gain and I am a bit stressed due to exams but I don't know what I can do about it. Also I'm not THAT stressed. Please help I'm getting really upset about it. Thank you! 

Some people really have nothing better to do than correct me on my grammer loll

If you eat lots of carbs try cutting back on that even the best carbs turn to sugar in the body. It stores in our muscles as glucose and after 13 or 14 hours we run out of those stores and our bodies use fat for fuel. Well that's when it peaks anyways you can train after 12 hours or even after 11 and see results over time from fasted cardio. I've been doing for two days and today is day three. So that might help you to try it. You just get up ahead of time and you do light to moderate cardio for no more than an hour and repeat the process for however many weeks you need to and just wait. But yeah make sure you're eating fewer carbs and avoid junk food. Stuff like that can really slow you down. Hope this helps and good luck.

Stress takes a lot away from your metabolism and can cause weight gain because it effects your hormones and hormones are tied to weight gain.  Try adding yoga or some relaxation techniques to your exercise routine.

You don't need to lose any weight at all!

Are you eating high carb foods? Fruit, bread, pasta, grains of any sort? Are you consuming sugars (refined sugars, honey, agave, syrups)?

If you're eating foods which spike blood glucose, you're not going to lose weight very readily

Count carbs, not calories. And weight loss is 80% about what you eat. It's not about exercise. Exercise is great for toning and keeping our bodies fit and strong. Exercise can also boost metabolism too. So it can help with weight loss (but very little)

• Sky

Try rewriting your question:  "Why are I not losing weight?" Do you see the grammatical incorrectness there?  It would have technically been more correct to write, "Why ain't I losing weight?," because the word "ain't" is an informal contraction of "am not".

• Eva

Are you walking with purpose or just strolling. If you're walking an hour a day you should be walking 3 to 4 miles. Add some hill work or more difficult terrain.

RELAX.  First, you aren't overweight, which is why your are having trouble losing.  Your BMI is between 22 and 23.  Weight alone is not a good indicator of body composition, health, fitness, beauty, clothing size, etc.  Focus more on your nutrition and body composition.  These two things will improve your overall health and provide you will a strong, lean body.

Next, WHAT you eat, WHEN you eat, an HOW FREQUENTLY you eat all play a role in whether or not your body store the food/"fuel" you eat or burns it.  So...here are some things to consider:

1.  All carbohydrates require insulin to transport the glycogen "fuel" to your cells.  Insulin also turns of the hormone that tells your body to get fat out of storage.  If you eat a lot of carbs -- even if it is whole grain and fruit -- and or eat lots of mini-meals-- your blood will have insulin in it and your body won't be an a fat burning mode.  

2. Your body uses energy more in the first 8 hours of your day than in the next 8 hours.  Calories consumed in the evening are more likely to be stored because your body simply who be able to use them.

3. Walking outside has lots and lots of benefits, but it isn't the most effective way to burn calories.  If you have a hour, follow a HIIT or bodyweight workout on a DVD for 30 minutes dn then walk for another 30.  There are lots of workouts you can find in books at the library, DVD (library or purchase) and even streaming services have workouts.

4. Use a food tracking app like MyFitnessPal or Lose It! and weight (on a food scale) and measure your portions.  Many of us underestimate how much we are eating.  

5.  Consider trying both a keto eating plan and intermittent fasting.  If these aren't for you, that's fine, but something people don't appreciate is that your bodies need amino acids (protein) and fatty acids (fats like Omega-3).  We don't actually have a dietary requirement for carbohydrates.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't or can't eat carbs, but at 1,300 calories a day, you need to maximize the nutritional value of your food choices.

6.  Muscle weights more than fat.  If a person drops 10 pounds of fat and adds 10 pounds of muscle, they will look and BE smaller as well as stronger and more fit.  

• Jerry

You're at 128 and in a panic about losing weight? Sounds nutso.