Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 2 months ago

What are the risks I take by smoking for a year and then quitting?

I’m a soldier stationed in South Korea. Quite a few people here take frequent smoke breaks while on duty to help decompress from all the bs that goes on here. Also doesn’t help that our fun activities are mostly limited drinking, smoking and whatever small stuff is in the Ville. I’m going to be here for a year and plan to smoke only while I’m in Korea to help pass the time and then quit when I PCS somewhere else. What risks do I take by smoking for a year and then quitting?

Please no preachy answers about how I shouldn’t have started in the first place. I know it’s not healthy for me. 

Favorite Answer

Visit your base medical office and show the doctor your question.  They can consult your records and discuss what you can expect to occur by following this course of action.  They can also discuss ways to stop smoking once you PCS somewhere else.

You would have to be extremely determined to be able to quit and never smoke again after only 1 year!

It is doubtful you will able to quit smoking if you continue to smoke for a year. I live in Houston, Texas, the home of University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center. Inhalation Toxicologists at the Cancer Center says it will take 3 years of non-smoking to return your lungs to the condition when you began to smoke. Not all news is bad! The scientists say you can still maintain a tobacco habit with just 10 cigarettes per day. You can decide and hopefully reduce the amount of 10 cigarettes a day to a X-number of cigarettes.

harrald

• Jerry

The biggest risk I see is that quitting isn't going to be as easy as you seem to expect. It's not just a habit; it's a physical addiction. Whatever is going on in your life, there is very likely to be "bs" and a need to "decompress." Maybe turning to drug use to cope with that is self-destructive not only in the drug use but also in your failure to develop coping mechanisms that aren't self destructive? Surely you have a great many colleagues facing the same "bs," having the same need to "decompress," who do NOT turn to tobacco? You could choose to emulate them rather emulating the tobacco addicts you know? 

• Will

Unless you are smoking 20 cigarettes a day, you will probably walk away with minor damage to your organs after just one year of smoking. However, how do you know it will just be one year? What will you do if you developed a nicotine addiction? Which is basically what is going to happen since you will be using it to relieve stress. You will end up smoking more and more often and then you will be heading down the road for the problems to come. Any time someone uses something as a way to cope with stress or other hardships, there is a high likelihood that an addiction will develop because you become dependent on it.