Housing/mortgage ?

I moved out of my mortgage bought house 5 years ago as I broke up with my ex and couldn’t afford it on my own with a new born baby. He had already moved out and didn’t want to live there either. It has been rented out since there. At the time I had a statement wrote up and sign by a solicitor saying I had nothing to do with the property and if it sold I wouldn’t benefit etc this was so I could claim housing benefits towards my rent If there was ever any cost on my mortgage property I was still liable to pay it. I’ve only ever got 150 p/m at the most toward my rent and I pay the rest. My ex now wants of the mortgage the property wants work doing to it and he doesn’t want to pay for it basically the people have just been paying enough to cover the rent it’s rented to my brother. The mortgage is now actually cheaper then my rent so I’m thinking of taking it over but as I’ve been claiming housing benefits if I move back in to my mortgage house is there a chances they will turn round and say they want all the money back I’ve had in the past.

Hope this makes sense 

Well yeah, you signed something saying you have nothing to do with it and wouldn't benefit, etc. You can't change your mind now and get a benefit, that would mean you were never qualified for the housing benefits you got.

• Maxi

So your 'ex' needs to sell the property as if you have legally no responsibility or claim on it it is nothing at all to do with you, it belongs to your ex not you and if he rented it to your brother he is the landlord, your brother the tenant, you do not come into the equation so what you now want is irrelevant.

If your name is still legally on the paperwork, title/mortgage then you are legally still responsible for the property as I have no idea what you signed at the solicitors which could just be a legal agreement between you and your ex....and if your name is still on the title you can't 'move back in' and claim HB for your own property.....if you claimed HB without the benefits agency knowing all this and seeing all the paperwork you signed at the solicitors it is benefit fraud in which case you have more issues than paying back HB, you will also be in legal troube for benefit fraud

• Tavy

No they won't want the money back, the system does not work that way in the U.K.

So how are you going to pay the mortgage if you move back in?