Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 3 weeks ago

Am I doing my daughter a disservice by not exposing her to technology of any kind?

My daughter is almost three. I ve don t have a television, and she doesn t have a tablet, or video games. I have a laptop and a cell phone which I rarely use and not in front of her. She goes to screen-free daycare, and at home we do a lot of hands on activities (blocks, coloring, playing tag, make believe)

I had someone said that not exposing her to any screen time at all is too extreme and will hinder her in the long run. I plan on introducing a computer for school related purposes once she starts school. But I feel like too much technology would prevent her from being a kid, using her imagination, being active and just engaging in what is going on around her.

What are your thoughts?

• 1 week ago

yes u are, the world is full of technology and shes not going to know how to navigate it. they are on computers in kindergarten, they need to know how to log in ETC..

ur overboard with this--give her 30 minutes a day to explore the world on ur laptop or phone.

• sarah

I definitely support kids using their imagination, being active, etc. (that's what we did when I was a kid)...but I also don't see a problem with screen time in moderation.

• I have to say at 25 I can see my job and most of the jobs of my peers to be obsolete by the time we are 40. Kids unfortunately will be less emotional and have probably no interpersonal skills BUT they will be in a new era of technology. Our jobs will be replaced with algorithms and computers. They need to learn to code and familiarize themselves with these things. I was very against screens at first because I saw how kids don't talk to each other or know how to speak while some are already looking like Instagram models with fake lashes at 7 years old with the goal of influencer BUT end of the day they will face these issues either way and best thing to do is give them exposure BUT monitor it and only do it in limited amounts. I bet you once she discovers a screen she will be sneaking around using phones or laptops and get hooked to it. Letting her practice self control and understanding there is a time and place is good. The world is changing and fast!!

At age 3? Not at all, no.

No.  Children of this age have plenty to learn and experience without being exposed to electronics and plenty of time before that will change.

She will be  better person that will not be addicted to tech if you make sure she doesn't have it while she is young and severely limit it when she's older. 

Kids don't need TV at all and no child needs a cell phone

• Jerry

I think you're smart. Your child will learn valuable skills like how to entertain and occupy herself, like how to cope with periods when she won't be either occupied or entertained. Children who are kept constantly occupied and amused rather than compelled to learn how to cope with not having any occupation or amusement grow up to be bored, willful, and lacking in inner resources. Whatever techno skills she isn't learning ages 0-5, she can easily learn a age 6. But the ability to sit still and do nothing is a skill that is easily learned by a tiny child while quite difficult for a school age child who hasn't been trained in the skill. 

• edward

Regardless when you introduce technology it’ll be a big part of her life. Do you have a landline phone? Because that should be something she knows how to use if you have one.