Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 3 weeks ago

why when you want to stop the washing machine in the middle of its wash cycle to add some more clothes, it drains all the water out?

like you just want to add another piece of clothing to the washer, why wont it just let you open the lid and throw it in? instead it makes you wait while it drains all the water out and then you have to add more soap and restart the whole thing...IS THIS A "SAFETY" ISSUE? why?

• Edwena
    Favorite Answer

Because the clothes you are adding would not be completely washed. The programming assumes that if you are too late in the cycle to get the added clothes clean, you start over. Half washed clothes. Most machines do have an interrupt feature at the beginning that allows for the shut down, lid opening, etc. to add the last minute clothes. And it then performs a complete wash cycle.

• Lv 5
      3 weeks agoReport

you must own one of them good ole American washers too eh?

You can only add extra clothes in the middle of the wash cycle if your washer supports this. That means it may have a push option or extra door/lid to add clothes. Otherwise, your washer will take it as the completion of the cycle and start draining.

• F

Samsung have machines with a small door that allows you to add items during the wash cycle. I would assume said item doesn't get washed as well.

Because the Nanny State we have become says clothes washers have to have that feature to keep people from getting locked inside and drowning in the machine, and to prevent floods. It is stupid and annoying but true. I have been washing my clothes with fully automatic clothes washers since I was 7 and have never been injured by one. Because of careless and stupid people, the rest of us have to suffer with these added safety features which are an annoyance and unecessary. Although a hassle, you can turn the machine off and fill it manually with water to soak things.

My washing machine when I press the stop pause button it just stops and then unlocks the top lid. 

It doesn’t drain the water . It’s safety feature . So kids can’t open it up during operation. 

Why yours drains out makes no sense. Either it’s the way it’s programmed or there is a flaw in the programming . 

• AskZilla
      3 weeks agoReport

It is not a flaw. They are engineered like that.

• Laurie

Read the owners manual to find out how to pause the cycle without cancelling it.

If you have a top loader, that sounds like a bad timer or a bad circuit board.  Check the owner's manual.

sounds like programming defect to me. call repair service and ask if that is wrong for your brand and model

My machine in Australia lets me open the lid and add (or remove) items.

Because that's how it works,