Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo WidgetsOther - Yahoo Widgets · 2 months ago

Retail managers/employees is this acceptable ?

3 months ago I received employment at a retail store, and so far I haven’t been impressed with my experience. Upon arriving for my first shift, I was directed to the women’s jewellery department and was told to get a “feel” of the store. I was then left in that department, without assistance or supervision from another employee for 3 hours. Given that my first shift was 8 hrs, I was then taken into the bagging department  where I was introduced to another employee on shift. An hour into being within a new department, my supervisor left for her lunch break, whilst two other employees, from nearby departments went home early. As a result, I was left to watch over three departments, on my own, for 2 hours. Given that the store is understaffed, a lot of pressure is then put on existing staff. So there will usually be only one employee working per department. A couple shifts later I was set to work in the show department, on my own. I worked 7 hours straight, with no break & no assistance from another employee. There has also been a few times where my break, along with other employees breaks would be shortened. I have attempted to address these concerns to management, but the store manager is often passive aggressive. Or when I ask for assistance, she becomes visibly frustrated from me asking for help.  I’m quite new to the workforce, so I’m not sure how to approach this issue. 

Many shops are like that. The people that are supposed to do the training are no more competent than the people that started that morning.

Or you could look at it along the lines that the people that work there are paid so poorly that they think "I'm not being paid extra to train her, so why bother?".

You approach it by holding your tongue. It's not up to you to fix the company. Just do what you're told, newbie.

what time is your break? maybe you should ask.