I accidentally cut someone off while driving?

So I'm driving home from work, reach a stop sign. I'm turning left so I have to go across oncoming traffic. My left is clear, and to my right, there's a car which at the time didn't look like it was gonna reach me very soon. Turns out I misjudged how fast he was coming and he may have had to slow down a little cause I was in front of him. I don't know if this really counts as cutting him off, he just ended up being a little closer than I would have liked before I could get up to speed (he didn't swerve or brake hard.) I felt like s**t for doing it, and it's my fault. I wasn't trying to drive aggressively, but it was simply a mistake on my part. Anyways, he comes up close behind me, holds his distance for a few seconds, then puts on his high beams (it was night time) for a few seconds, turns them off and backs away to a good following distance again. I don't know if he was just kind of flashing me to let me know I annoyed him or if he was trying to get light to take a pic of my license plate. Can I get in any trouble for this? Can he track down where I live? (I'm in Canada, Alberta) I know I might just be overthinking things but it's been bothering me for a while, and I hate seeming like an ******* on the road.

• lj1
    Favorite Answer

I don't think the guy was trying to get your license plate number. I think he just had a little road rage.

Even if he did get your license number, the police aren't going to come after you for cutting someone off in traffic. To find out where you live, he would have to pay off a cop, or someone else who has access to that information, and nobody is going to risk losing their job, or worse, to help him out. 

Hopefully, you learned from your mistake. In the future, just wait for a good opening before you pull out, and learn to judge how fast oncoming traffic is moving. 

Why are you so afraid? So, he's aggressive while driving. That's common South of the border. I doubt that your police would give him your name & address. If he shows up, be a man. Tell him to get out of your face. Actually, he broke the law twice. Once for tailgating & once for turning on his high beams in traffic.

If the oncoming traffic also had a stopsign, but you made your stop first, the right of way was yours. If traffic that came from your right had no stop sign, you were wrong to cut them off and you should have held your car behind the stop sign until they passed through the intersection.

• Mystic

I hope he wasn't trying to take a pic of your license while he was driving. In the USA, that would be highly illegal. No phones while driving. And it sounds to me like he was being a jerk because you annoyed him. He tailgated you for a short time and turned his brights (high beams) on to **** you off. Everyone knows how annoying it is to have someone's damn bright lights on you when driving. The fact that be backed off again shows he luckily wasn't looking for trouble. He didn't follow you/chase after you and try to start an altercation or try to ram you/run you off the road. He just showed his annoyance by getting on your a*s and blinding you for a few seconds. Annoying? Yes. Immature? Yes. But it could have been much worse.

What you did was an accident. You didn't cut him off on purpose. It sounds more like you just pulled out in front of him a bit instead of fully cutting him off too. Usually when you cut someone off, you literally dive RIGHT in front of them to the point they have to basically stop to keep from hitting you. Pulling out in front of someone is annoying, but sometimes it can be hard to judge. You might think you can make it, then learn you should have probably waited.

In the future, anytime you're a little iffy, just wait to play it safe. It's worth the extra few seconds.

• Mystic

Y!A seriously censors p i s s now? LMAO! Pathetic.

• Ron

It was road rage. He can't do a damned thing with your license number. It's very difficult to judge speed and distance at night. He was probably going faster than he should have been. chill

You pissed him off dumbass because you did badly misjudge it. FAIL. Chalk it up to lack of experience and not taking an extra second or two to evaluate the situation before you pulled out. You're lucky that all the other driver did was to let you know in no uncertain terms what a **** you were to pull out instead of waiting what, maybe six or seven seconds for him to go by? If it had been icy you could have easily caused an accident. Did I say fail? I meant EPIC FAIL.

• Mystic

ANOTHER as*hole in the driving category. SERIOUSLY - what is WRONG with people answering in this section? Every question I go to, there is at least one jerk. Lord...