Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Should I call animal control on these people, and possible cause my mom to get fired?

My mom takes care of a 26 year old autistic man a couple times a week  and gets paid 900 a month by the state. Him, and his family got 3 bull dog pit bull mix puppies, each about 4 months. I dont know the full story, but I know the man she takes care of works around 4 hours, but I'm not sure the how much the parents work. I assume they keep the puppies in crates while they are gone. He brought his puppy over, and also its crate. He says the puppy doesn't sleep with him at night, but in its crate. When he brought it over, he let it play for a couple hours with my moms dog, and put it in the crate. That was around 7, so it's been in there for about 4 hours, and I think its gonna sleep in there, so it will be there for a while. I walked into his room acting like I was grabbing something. And it was locked in its crate while he was sitting there playing his gameboy. Why cant he just leave it out, while hes awake? I'm pretty sure this is animal cruelty. I'm just afraid it report it. Because I dont know if hell get mad, and not want to come over anymore, which will mean my mom losing her job. 

I dont agree with his methods, but I think reporting him may be extreme. He has a developmental deficit and probably just doesnt understand responsible pet ownership. But that doesn't mean he cant learn! The dog is young, as long as hes fed and excersized he will survive his owners learning curve. Sign them up for an intro obedience classes. Look into local programs for people with his affliction, maybe they have some advice? What's this guy like to do other than play game boy? Can you associate the dog with this activity? This guy needs help, that includes help with his dog. Your mom should advise him on what's right and wrong and what the responsibility honestly looks like. Either theyll be best friends or he will lose interest all together. Autism effects the person's ability to create meaningful bonds. That's gonna be the key to fixing the situation. If the situation gets worse and you feel you cant ignore your morals anymore, trust your instinct. Make the call. But place it anonymously. At the end of all this you still have to live with yourself. If your mom loses her job itll suck, but she is grown and capable, the dog is not. 

That's not how you spell possibly.

• Bort

In many people's opinion including mine keeping an animal in a crate or cage is cruel. Unfortunately it's not anything more than an opinion. Some people don't agree and think it's best to cage or crate their pets. I personally despise it and suggest against it and I don't think highly of people who "crate train" (it's NOT training in my opinion) their pets.

There's really nothing you can do other than say something to these people about it without forcing your opinion on the subject on them too much if they don't care to hear it. "If you're here, why not let the dog out of his cage? There's no reason to have him locked up if you're with him. That's cruel. Please let him out."

Autistic people are usually very intelligent. They're not dumb at all they have challenges with things like social skills, repetitive behaviors, speech and nonverbal communication, some might have challenges with their motor skills.

Encourage and teach. Don't blast at them trying to convince them of your opinion. It's of course good to share your opinion, but don't argue with them if it's not also their opinion and they don't want to hear all about yours.

Always treated mine like veterans so run of house and lots of bones. I'd never cage but that's just me.

• Ocimom

That is not abuse.  Many dogs like sleeping in a kennel/crate.  You don't want them to be in there for a long time during the day.  Our dog sleeps in the kennel during the night and sometimes takes a nap or two during the day in the kennel.  

To me, using a crate is abuse. Pure laziness to not train the dog to be loose in the house. All dogs need training & it is not the dogs fault, it is the owners fault. This young man is not a responsible dog owner. The dog is being neglected

It isn't abuse. Just mind your own business.

Even the Humane Society encourages the "judicious use" of crates for puppy training.  Since you are such an officious busybody, do find and be able to cite an animal control LAW (passed in your town, county or state) concerning the use or misuse of dog crates BEFORE - before you try sticking your nose in a pile of manure which is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS and getting your mother FIRED (for NOTHING).

That seems cruelty but I don't think Animals Control would do anything else than just telling them to leave him out.

They wouldn't take any Action

It seems cruel but I’m sure it’s not illegal especially if it’s not audibly crying out constantly like some dogs do. It’s probably better for your mom not to lose her job.