I am a singer. Should I wear an anti-pollution mask to protect my vocal cord?

Also kindly let me know if anyhow anti-pollution mask can have any negative effects on my vocal cord?

• Kevin

If you live in an area where the air quality is poor, such as a result from:

Fires, pollution, etc.

If you live in an area which is currently experiencing a outbreak of something like:

Coronavirus, the flu, etc.

Then it would be a good idea to wear a face mask, regardless of being a singer or not. I would stick to FDA or other government approved face masks to be safe, if you're worried about a negative effect of one. I don't know of any, it's not like you're licking, eating, or inhaling the mask itself, so it should be fine. That said, I assume you have to dispose of the mask or find a reusable one because wearing one all the time wouldn't do any good. 

Also, they are better named vocal folds. 

Other things: Stay hydrated. That's a good lubricant for the folds and helps them stay protected. 

Don't over use your voice. If you feel pain, go on vocal rest till it goes away, or see an ent. Sometimes you develop irritations on the folds in the forms of lesions or blisters. Then as you keep using the voice it's like your smacking the blister over and over again, which makes it grow and gets bigger. Some become permanently part of your folds, called nodules, which require surgery. 

caffine, medicine, and other such things dehydrate you, so take that into consideration for your daily water intake

do you live in China? Are other singers around you wearing masks? Why would a mask have an effect on your vocal chords. It's spelled "chords", not "cord". There are two chords, not one cord. 

You don't say where you live, and what the regular dangers are. i would suspect that since other singers live in highly populated/contaminated areas and still sing, the mask is a bit of overkill.