Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 3 weeks ago

Had to fire my roommate... advice?

So, my roommate was hired at the same store as I work for the holidays. We were both sales associates, and he had a no call no show three days before Christmas, while we were cutting hours. My boss called him but he was asleep, so he never got the call. She never tried again, and just took him off the schedule. He didn’t know he no longer had a job until 2 weeks after not receiving any schedules. A week later my boss carpools with me to another location to help them out. She tells me that she’s been meaning to call my roomie, that he doesn’t work there anymore since he’s seasonal and shed love to have him back for summer. I just kind of sit there, nodding, before she changes the subject. Another week later I come in for a shift and she asks “so did you tell roomie?” And I’m like... “tell him what exactly?” “That I’m sorry and that we’d love to have him back in summer.” Im shocked, so I just nod. She literally had me fire my roommate, she never called him again after that day, and never called him after we talked. This has to be illegal right? What do I do? I’m super uncomfortable.

I know I didn’t actually have to fire my roommate, but I did have to relay the message, which is still upsetting to me.

You did NOT fire your roommate!  Your roommate was let go.  As for your boss.....STOP carpooling with her.  It is NOT your job to be the 'go-between'.

• Bort

Not illegal at all. He no call no showed. Then, according to your story, he didn't show up after that for 2 weeks? That = he quit.

Tell him they'd like him back for seasonal summer help. If he needs a job when that time comes he has one.

• Alfie3 weeks agoReport

They didn’t schedule him for two weeks, he didn’t just not show up. There’s a difference. L

FLAT OUT LIE. YOU didn't have to fire anyone. You weren't even given the OPPORTUNITY to fire anyone. You were asked to tell someone that QUIT they could return later. That is early the OPPOSITE of firing them.  You should have told your roommate he needed to contact management. If that is news to you, I would fire YOU for that reason alone.

Note: NOTHING you claim is even REMOTELY illegal and shouldn't be.

• Alfie3 weeks agoReport

Thanks for deleting my earlier comment ^-^ that’s not at all what they were saying though. Their roommate got fired and they had to relay the news. That seems pretty ****** up to me. Missing a day isn’t quitting by the way.

Not illegal, juts really unethical.

• Maxi

Not your job, not your problem it is her job to relay her own messages regarding work......

• blank

perosnally I would find another job.   Your manager is an idiot and not very professional.