Anonymous

Flu symptoms for 30 minutes then completely fine?

This happens to me about once a year.  Today I was perfectly fine all day, then out of the blue, I felt nauseous, had a pounding headache, and I felt shaky and dizzy.  I laid down and closed my eyes.  About 30 minutes later, I started feeling better.  Within an hour of the onset of symptoms, I was completely back to normal. All I did was rest it off.  Sometimes this happens and lasts closer to 1-2 hours but never more than that. I feel like absolute crap for a very short period of time randomly about once a year or so. I am not diabetic and was at the doctor about a month ago (checkup) and was told all my vitals and blood sugar levels are perfectly normal and healthy. This has gone on for about the last 5 years at random times and not very often.  I work with young kids, so I could be picking up any number of illnesses from my students, but this started happening before I started teaching.  Could it just be indigestion?  Some sort of mini flu?  I don’t suspect it’s overly dangerous, I’m just confused how I could be getting what seems to be an hour long flu.

• Eva

Sounds more like a migraine.

Schedule a follow-up visit with your doctor and show them your question.  They may want to schedule you for a week-long hospital stay so they can monitor you closely or they may want you to wear a monitor for the next three months so they can keep track of your vitals.  You could also benefit from keeping a daily journal for the rest of the year.  You can record what you eat, your daily activities, how you are feeling, and how you are sleeping.  Once you have another episode you can contact your doctor immediately to see if you can get an emergency appointment for a checkup.