Cheyenne asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Can cats sense where someone has died?

i live in a house where a man died in our basement from suicide about 50 years ago. i once took my cat with me down there so i could get something but now when i try to take him down there, he fights to get away and cries. Can cats sense a place where someone has once died ?

• Bort

Yes, they can smell it. The smell of rotting...yeah...can be cleaned well enough that our human noses don't smell it anymore but dogs and cats and other animals with more sensitive noses can still detect it.

It's also believed by some people that cats can see things we can't (spirits).

So that's very likely the reason he refuses to go down there.

• Athena

I believe they can.

If you live in a multi-cat home and a cat dies, i have been told by vets to leave the cat out for a short time so the other cats can sense what happened and NOT just wrap the cat up and leave. The other cats will not know what has happened then.

hard telling what your cat is sensing. But I do know when I went into a house with no prior knowledge about it's history, I felt the overwhelming presence of beings...that someone had died there. I find out later it used to be a funeral home. I think animals and people can sense those who have passed if your mind is open.