Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 4 weeks ago

Is it ok to drive through red lights at night? ?

When I’m driving home from work it’s very late and it’s dark out and there’s usually no cars on the road. And since there’s no cars I usually drive through red lights. 

Is it ok to do this? Or should I still stop? 

no, it's not ok... it's too dangerous.

No.  If you do it, I hope you get caught.

• Mystic

No. The fact that it's nighttime doesn't make laws nonexistent. If the light is red, you stop - day or night. One of these times, you're going to run a red and cause an accident. A lot of red lights in the USA now have cameras in them to bust red light runners. They catch you on camera, then send you a ticket in the mail. EVERYWHERE should have this in place.

Also, keep in mind some drivers are idiots and do not use their lights. What's going to happen if you dart on out without stopping and meet up with an unexpected car without lights? Yes, they would be wrong for not having their lights on, but you'd still be wrong for running the red light. Two wrongs do not make a right. Sometimes if there's a hill or curve, other cars can pop up rather quickly too. There are stop signs and stop lights for a reason - just use common sense and STOP at them.

Btw - if you'd ever see a red light that is flashing, treat it as a stop sign intersection. Stop, look both ways a couple times, then proceed if/when clear. If the light is a regular stop light and is NOT flashing, you just stop and wait for it to change to green.

No its never right to break law even when there is no one about, and if you keep doing it, one day you will be be caught.  

And you will have to pay financial penalty and points on your driving licence. Also you will have to declare this offence to your car insurance company for next 5 years and they would further punish you by increasing your car  insurance premium.

• Erik
      4 weeks agoReport

fortunately all red light camera intersections have signs posted, plus you can see the cameras

• John

My your important arent you? If its an emergency and your authority such as an ambulence or fire truck.

But I imagine woo woo must be tired and probably can't hold water so must be assisted to beddy by!

• e9601:

It is never OK to break the law. I suggest you stop doing this.

...................no, never.

If it is safe, sure. I do at stop signs but make sure there are no cars around or cops. Why waste time sitting there for no reason.

• e9601:
      4 weeks agoReport

are you ever wrong.

The "thump thump" that you hear when you run a red light is a pedestrian who was crossing legally.

When you meet a drunk driver running without lights it will be over.