what do people think its better to hurt child than to spoil them.?

I realized that very often it is okay to hurt a child but not spoil why is that.

My parents taught me the way the world works. I am more successful and have healthy friendships because they showed me it is not all sunshine and rainbows. I am much more stronger person because of it. My boyfriend grew up with his family never discussing hardships or preparing him for people that can backstab you so when it happened it hurt him and if it wasn't for me I'm not sure what would have happened. He just couldn't fathom how all his friends were fake or people weren't what they seemed. Now he is more cautious and chooses genuine friendships and works HARD for his job, money and status. Some kids expect things handed to them and are going to be screwed when their parents aren't there to bail them out.

• Sariah

Let the experts give us a word or two... https://www.youtube.com/user/LoveandLogic1

Because the spoiled child serves to be hurtful to the parent.

When you hurt your child, they may learn to grow stronger by themselves.

When you spoil your child, they grow up being dependent of you and they get themselves hurt without you.

Parenting isn't about spoiling or hurting children. Parenting is about raising a functioning adult. Parenting is about correcting bad behavior by teaching correct behavior. Many parents miss that.

• LizB

It's not okay to do either. If you have to hurt your child to get them to behave, then frankly your parenting skills suck.

• You don't spoil a child because life is hard.  You can either give them the tools they'll need to survive in the world so that when they wade out into the ocean, they'll be able to tread water, or you can indulge their every whim and let them drown once they're on their own.  It's your choice.