Jim
Lv 4
Jim asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 3 weeks ago

Why is the Windows 10 activation key so cheap on Ebay.?

I need to upgrade to Windows 10 from Vista. When I went on to Ebay I find the upgrade key cost only 7 or 8 bucks. Is that too good to be true? Or is it an illegal copy or something?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Mostly these keys are Bulk Volume/Enterprise licence keys which are sold in the market. All these have an expiry date which will be stopped by Microsoft in future dates as they expire. These keys are not for lifetime free access. 

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 weeks ago

I purchased a key on Ebay last June for $5 and it worked fine.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

There is a saying, "If it's too good to be true, it's not!"

• 3 weeks ago

They're probably cheap volume license keys that were bought in bulk. Usually those are meant for big companies that have to activate on many computers at once. It may be a valid key or it may not be.

That being said though, if it is specifically an upgrade key, it will NOT work with Vista. Upgrade keys require a valid OS to upgrade from, Windows 10 does not have an upgrade path from Vista, only from 7 or 8/8.1. You will need a full version license.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

They are often extra OEM keys from OEM's that have had returned machines. The keys are extras that they no longer need. However, I wouldn't trust the keys on Ebay, much more secure to get it on Kinguin or SCDKeys, where if the keys don't work, then they will give you another one.

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

It is not a valid KEY.

• 3 weeks ago
  • 3 weeks ago

That's too good to be true.

• 3 weeks ago

This is a gray area. A lot of those keys are what are known as volume license keys. A company or organization may buy many of those keys in bulk. They get deep discounts for buying them in bulk. Sometimes these keys may get leaked/stolen and are then sold on the gray market.

I don't believe that it is illegal to use these keys, but it is against Microsoft's terms of service. Realistically, the most that would happen would be that MS blacklists the key(s) and your copy becomes inactivated.

Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

scams are too good to be true

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.