What does it mean to 'hate spiders'?

If someone ‘hates spiders’ does that suggest that they don’t care about them and would kill them?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

hate tends to include a wish to do harm to the object of the hatred.  It is a basic aspect of hatred that the person desires for bad things to happen to the hated one.  It is that desire for harm that makes hatred what it is rather than simple dislike.

Whether the hatred is from fear or repulsion is not important.  It is that the person cannot stand being around spiders that is what matters, and how they feel about solving the problem when there are spiders around.  Fear would drive running away or freezing but hatred would drive destruction and elimination of the spider. 

In actual practice, people often do say "I hate" such and such when they do not actually hate them or it, though.  It is not truly hatred that they feel.  It is instead hyperbole, a way to underline by exaggeration.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

It means to be repulsed by them or to fear them.

• 1 month ago

Most of The time that someone says they hate spiders, They are really just afraid of them. that is nothing to be ashamed of, But probably should be dealt with. People don't really hate spiders they're just afraid of them, Usually the reason people are afraid of spiders is because of the way they move

• Damien
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

no i would not kill them, but they crawl up on me, i would spat them to get them off me which will likely kill them, also the dumb fools be building spider webs across corners in my room so i do have to slap them inorder for them to leave which might also kill them.

• Chi girl
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

"Spat" his the past tense of "spit."  You would *swat at them" . . . 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.