Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 3 weeks ago

If parents are going to use tv or iPads or something like that to distract their kids while they get stuff done how long is too long?

For example would you limit it to 1hr a day for a one year old?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Buy him a basic toy instead.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 hour a day is good. Your kid can color, play with toys, read, go outside, do sports, lots of activities.

• 3 weeks ago

Great question!  I don't believe there is a finite answer how long you can use the electronic babysitter for any child, so it becomes subjective to the child.  A 1 year old would not even be able to focus on the screen thus 0 hrs.

• Jerry
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

I know that the electronic baby-sitter (something with a screen, you know?) is so easy and cheap as to be nearly irresistible, but it's still better to find the time to get the child started with some less passive activity like playing with blocks or coloring. I think it would be best to keep young children's screen time to a minimum. The skill of being able to occupy and entertain oneself rather than being desperately unhappy when there is no occupation or amusement at hand -- this is a learned skill. Those who learn this skill as tiny children learn it much more easily than those who are kept constantly occupied and amused during their early years. 

"You can either play with your blocks, color, or sit quietly and watch Mommy make supper" now will save you a future of "MOOOOM, I'm BORED! Give me something to do!" 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • edward
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

The baby will get tired eventually.

• 3 weeks ago

Don't even expose them to one minute of screen time. They are too young. Buy a basic toy.

• 3 weeks ago

A one year old shouldn't be watching TV at all. Studies show that children under 18 months watching TV can bring on delays and cause problems in sleep and attention. For older kids an hour or two a day is plenty.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

I wouldn't let a 1 year old use a tablet at all  or use the TV as a babysitter.

• 3 weeks ago

I would do a 2 hour limit for a 1 year and once they get into school then limit them to 3hours but only after they have all their work done. Once they are about 10 change the limit to 4 and then at 12 no limit as long as you finish Home work and go to bed on time. Once they are 15 let them sort of live their own life and accept their own consequences they learn faster that way.

• mokrie
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I would not have a 1 year old damaging their eyes with tech they are too young for anyway. They can play with blocks or dolls or simple toys.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.