I just got an insurance quote for a 2020 Hyundai Sante Fe at $1900 yr, it sounds high, agree?

State NY, I'm accident free. My current insurance is $800 yr. for 2008 Honda CRV. 

The insurance cost might cause me to keep my old car, it has 62,000 miles.

• Kaz
    Favorite Answer

Collision insurance on a new car in NY is expensive and is required by the lender if you finance the car.  Your Honda will (or should) last a lot longer, with minimal problems, and might be your best option.

You can shop around for insurance, some are cheaper, but sometimes the reason they're cheaper is that the coverage isn't that good.  Lower limits and higher deductibles.

Luckily you checked on the cost of insurance before you purchased the car.  Good luck.

• JOHN B

SUV's are much more expensive to repair. At 62,000 I'd keep the Honda unless you have 4 kids.

• May

Yes it sounds high. The only way to tell if it is too high is to get other quotes. NY is a very expensive Auto insurance state.

Not necessarily. It depends on how old you are, where in NY you live, and you gender. For example, it would be very, very low for an 18 year old male in Brooklyn, but perhaps somewhat high for a 40 year old upstate.

Yes, I agree.  That is high.

Thank you for asking, I guess.

Insurance rate works off the value of the car  .  So new is going to kill you.  Because that is the way it ALWAYS HAS BEEN WITH ALL INSURANCES.  Your Honda will easily double if not TRIPLE the mileage.  Most you might need to fix is replace the brake pads. They do wear out, and so do the tires.

My magic 🎱 ball says....it seems reasonable for full coverage insurance on financed / leased vehicle.

HOW CAN WE AGREE? We don't know your age, your gender, your credit history, how much you owe on it, how much you drive, whether you've ever had any tickets, the purpose you drive, where the vehicle will be parked when not in use, the accident and crime statistics for your area, and about 20 other things that an insurance company uses to assess risk and calculate premiums. At least you were smart enough to get a quote before you bought the car. Hopefully you're smart enough to get quotes from another 5 insurance vendors before you decide not to buy it. 

Everything is good, I thought I relayed that.No accidents, no tickets, garaged car in great neighborhood, don't work, excellent credit, etc