Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

How can you help a client refocus their goal?

Let's say a client goes to you with a goal that is problematic. How would you help them refocus their goal onto something else?

I'm studying psychology and I need help with this in case I'm ever faced with a client like this.

• The Socratic method is usually applicable when it comes to psychological readjustments. Ask questions, that offer the person opportunity to see or percieve themselves. Its important to give the client as much freedom from your own guidance as possible. You are not there to steer the boat for them, but give them a view of the islands they can retreat to.

Ask them why that is their goal in the first place.  What do they hope to gain from achieving their goal?  Is there another way to make the same gain.

I would try to find a way to get them to see their Life in perspective.  Some things may be important right now, but in a year or two years, how important will they be?  So the passage of time can be used to make your argument.  Money is a good goal to pursue people, places or things.   It depends on the goals or likes of the person, and we are all individuals. So listen to them, on when they seem happy, and fun, then you may find the means to push them into the right direction.