How can I take selfies without distortion?

My face always looks distorted in selfies. I there an app for that?

• Frank

No app, sorry.  The only way to avoid the distortion is to NOT

use a wide-angle lens.  Yes, the distortion will be greatly diminished once the camera is > 10 feet away with a wide lens, but to eliminate it, you have to use a lens that is 50mm or longer (equivalent to 35mm format).

Actually, when you use a telephoto lens the perspective is compressed which makes people look more attractive than they do in real life.  This is why lenses in the 85-200mm range are called portrait lenses. 

Here's a link showing the distortion of various focal lengths.  For reference, a smartphone uses a lens that's equivalent to 28mm.  http://www.stepheneastwood.com/tutorials/lensdisto...

Take the photo directed at a mirror instead of camera facing you. This usually gives you much more creative leeway or on a tripod with wireless remote if you can.

According to a research letter published today (March 1) in the journal JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery, 5 feet (1.5 meters) is the optimal distance for taking portraits that don't distort your facial features. Selfies taken just 12 inches (30 centimeters) away from the face, meanwhile, often result in a forced "funhouse mirror" perspective that can make your nose look up to 30 percent wider than it is, Dr. Boris Paskhover, study co-author and facial plastic surgeon, told Live Science.For years, I've heard patients and family members say, 'Oh, look at my nose, it looks so big,' when they show me a selfie," Paskhover said."I was always telling my patients, that's not how you really look. I knew that selfies distort how your nose looks. And I wanted to prove it."

• keerok

Use a real camera?

Do you know why they wanted so desperately to popularize selfies?

Because they're trying to make everyone be so self-absorbed as to have absolutely no empathy whatsoever when the men in the black vans pull up to take your neighbors away.

It's literally to make you think that you are so important that it is absolutely overwhelmingly essential that you're in the image of whatever it is you're trying to show.  Like here's the Grand Canyon and oh yeah I'm in the foreground because screw this stupid Grand Canyon, I'M HERE!

The best thing any person can do from an altruistic standpoint is to realize an absolute lack of self-importance.  The realization of the self has being an insignificant portion of the universe will set your photography free.

Embrace the idea that you are not the center of the universe but merely observing it and let people see your observations...not YOU.  Try to remember that we're all one being experiencing reality subjectively.  Things start to become a little more clear then.

• Actually I appreciated the answer, me the "stupid selfie taker". I bet your dumb kids will take stupid selfies.

• NONAME

have someone else take them...its impossible to take a good selfie

Just take a picture of someone else's face.

Nobody wants to see that ****. We're just being polite when we act like we're impressed. Do something more worthwhile with your time.