Loan or Lien question?

Years ago, I was signed on a vehicle with my ex. The vehicle has been paid off for many years now. My understanding is that he still has the vehicle. I got a call from a number in another state looking for me regarding this vehicle and I was wondering if it was just a scam. I checked my credit and nothing shows in relation to the vehicle, including no credit checks. Is it possible for my ex to take out a loan on the vehicle or a lien without me being there to sign it and it affecting my credit since I did not sign anything? I was curious since my name is still on the vehicle if it would affect me, even though I would not be agreeing to pay any new loan or lien on it. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

You co-signed a number of years ago and the loan has been paid off for years, accordingly there can be no further lien on the vehicle in your name. He cannot take out any further loan on it with your name as a co-signer once again as you would need to co-sign the new loan. As your name is still on the registration you could possibly be liable for some liability should he be responsible for an accident. I would contact him about taking your name off the registration.

• ron h

likely trying to sell you an extended warranty  If you and the ex speak, ask if he evdr got a new title in his name alone.  If no, encourage him to do that to make it easy when he decides to trade it in.  It's POSSIBLE that he's got the joint title in a drawer or safe deposit box with both names on it.

I get scam calls all the time. Recorded messages and if I click to speak with someone, I get very, very broken english. If I only give them my credit card number, they can get me a lower rate. I never carry a balance, idiots.

Well he owns it. so he can take a loan out against it I suppose. If you name is not on the loan,t hen no effect on credit.

It's possible.  He IS the owner of the vehicle, or "an" owner.  Nothing is on a credit report unless and "until" it is reported.

• Eva

A new loan would have to have your signature. It could possibly have a lien on it from another source, but it's more likely a scam.