I have an older computer and I upgraded to windows 10 now I lost my audio. No way to get it back. Is there a way to get audio output via usb?

So for some reason I can't go back to windows 7 even though I have the disc, it won't download. Now I'm stuck with windows 10 and no audio! My computer does not support the drivers it takes to run the audio on windows 10. Trust me I have tried everything and MS says my computer is to old, get a new one. No drivers available to download on that old of a computer (2006). Is there a way to convert the sound out of another port like a usb? Is there a converter that I can get? Im getting mixed answers on the web about only data can go through a usb not sound, and others says you can transfer sound but no video. Any info I can get would be helpful.

Windows 10 allows you to restore Windows 7 if done in first 30 days. No need to redownload Windows 7.

• keerok

Yes. Buy a USB Audio card.

• Michael3 weeks agoReport

Thanks for the advice. Bought one and it works great. Thanks again!

There are hundreds of different USB "sound card" type modules available on ebay, amazon etc.

[You do not get "sound" through USB, any more than you do though Ethernet or PCIe - the external device is an add-on card that the computer communicates with and sends digital data that the add-on translates - to sound, in that case.

Both answers you have read are correct, but in different ways].

However there is no reason the original sound device should not work. The drivers from Win 7 should be OK, though you may have to install them in Compatibility mode".

Giving the info on exactly what computer / what sound device would help people on here to look up drivers for you.

If you do not know, go to the device properties in device manager, then the Details tab, select "Hardware IDs" in the pulldown and copy the first line from there.

The VID and PID values are codes for the make and model of the device.

To go back to Windows 7, you need to start the computer directly from the Windows 7 install disc - set it to boot from the optical drive first and hard drive second, until the install is completed.

That's always the best way to install Windows or any other operating system; doing "in place" upgrades while the machine is trying to run the system being upgraded often causes problems.

• Michael3 weeks agoReport

Thank you for the in depth answer. I ended up buying a usb audio card for $9 and it works great. Solved my problem fast and cheap. Tried to download several different drivers but could not get them to work. Probably needed to go in deeper like you suggest. Anyway I got it working so Thanks again!

• Dick

Generally speaking if your computer is working well then the best bet is to simply leave the drivers alone and especially the bios. However, in 2019 and with a 2006 computer you might want to try this since it just might help you get your sound back and make your computer more efficient at running Win 10. Go to this CNET website called download.com At the top of the page there is a search box. Type in Driver Booster and hit enter. Scroll down a little and you'll find the download link. Click on Download in the green area. Download and install this software. Once installed run it by double clicking the icon on your desktop. You can allow it to download all drivers or simply select just the audio driver. This should fix your audio problem. Hope this helps.

It looks like you need a USB audio card. Something like this should work: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Wi...

Side note: You don't "download" an OS through a disk. If you want to install Windows 7 on that PC, you will need to perform a clean install. You simply insert the disk, reboot, boot off of the disk, go through the install procedure and Windows will be install on the drive. You cannot downgrade Windows 10 to Windows 7 through W10.

• Michael3 weeks agoReport

Awesome answer. Did not know about the clean install. Yes I tried to do it in windows 10. But now I don't need it since I bought a USB audio card and it works great. Thanks for the help. I thought my older computer was going to be trash. Not any longer!