Received suspension for “Failure to appear” in court on my court date, but I was there and was let go?

I got a ticket for a busted headlight and the State Trooper informed me I could get it fixed, present my proof in court instead of paying the fine. I went to court, did that exact thing, they wrote my name/info down and proceeded to just have everyone walked out. Of course I’ve never been to court, so I had asked one of the information booths on what I should do afterwards and if I was free to go. He told me yep, I’m good as long as they saw my proof to dismiss it. 2 weeks later I get the suspension in the mail and of course, it is 5 pm on a Friday and I can’t get in touch with anyone and I have to drive to work but I’m too afraid of being pulled over (the cops in the town I live are very numerous and will pull anyone over.) Was I simply too naive during court and ended up leaving too early? I’m not sure how to deal with this and surely can’t afford any fines.

Favorite Answer

It doesn't take a State Trooper to tell you that you can fix it.  You can ALWAYS fix a busted headlight.  In fact, that is one of the most simple things on a car to have repaired, and inexpensive too.  That said, you got a ticket and you did not ask that the case be dismissed, so you owe the fine.  Those booths are  NOT information booths.  Those are court clerks that file documents.  They are not lawyers and they do not give legal advice.  And, of course you are free to leave.  If they didn't haul you off to jail from the courtroom, then it's a civil court - of course you are free to leave.  That does not mean that you don't owe the fine.  Pay it.  And then you will have to wait until they have recorded the payment, before you can request that the suspension be lifted.  Some courts are backed up for weeks.  If you are lucky, your payment might be recorded within 2 - 3 weeks, possibly sooner, but it could be later too.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.

I would continue DMV as soon as they reopen, speak to whomever handles sus[ensions and inform them what you've stated above Most likely the court notice was late in getting to DMV and they suspended. I would also get a written statement from the court stating that it was dismissed. Also, keep your receipt in the car for the headlight replacement to show any officer if you're stopped again.

Do you have proof that you went to Court?  Parking receipt, you were given a number, anything?

I'm not sure what "... and proceeded to just have everyone walked out" means.

Yes, I would be concerned about driving.  If you can, find someone to drive you.  I would be back at the Courthouse when it opened on Monday.

Go to the court on Monday morning and tell them what happened.Bring your proof with you and everything will most likely be dismissed.They're not going to put you in jail or anything like that for a fixit ticket.Don't be worried but definitely take care of it promptly.