Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 5 months ago

What was it like living in the 1960s? Were many people hippies?

Favorite Answer

I was around and not a child then.

Most of the 1960s was very much like the 1950s. The parts that people think of as the 60s was the very end, from '67 onward, and those cultural shifts didn't reach the heartland until 1969. (San Francisco, New York, Boston, and to lesser degrees Los Angeles, Chicago, and Philadelphia had the 1960s the earliest.)

Most hippies were college-age or in their early 20s. By their late 20s, most had to get jobs and accepted the usual adult responsibilities of paying rent, starting families, caring for themselves properly, and all that. Most tried to hang onto the sense of wonder and the open-minded nature of the 60s as adults, but of course many failed. When life gives you a demanding job, a spouse, kids, parents with failing health, and other serious stuff, getting high and protesting injustice takes a back seat.

By the mid 1970s, most of the people who looked like hippies were selling drugs or were posers. The "real" hippies had become adults far more free-wheeling than their own parents, yet every bit as responsible.

• Who Dat ?

Testify! you nailed it!.But could have mentioned the riots that were nothing more than out of control street partys That burned down whole  city blocks.

• Kathy

I was just a little kid in the 1960's. There were a lot of hippies, and rock and roll was popular.

• ?

I was born in the 1960s so my childhood was 60s and into the 70s.

I lived in a lower middle class to a middle class area in my youth.  My grandma lived with us.  My mom was a nurse and my dad worked for the city, highway maintenance.Our neighborhood was working class, no hippies around.My childhood was largely lived outdoors.  Running through the woods, skating on the neighborhood lake in the winter, swimming in the neighbors pool in the summer, all kinds of sports and outdoor games, camping, etc..  It was great fun!

I still like the outdoors.  I hike and garden and camp.