Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 4 weeks ago

Were you born in the 1950s. What was it like then? Was it better than today?

In what ways was it better or worse?

• Mercy
    Favorite Answer

1946

MUCH better. Economy was booming after the war. No one was out of work, no welfare cheques, disability cheques - families looked after families.

Christian foundation , no drug overdoses. Only bad thing was no birth control. :)

No but I wish I was born in the 50s. 

I wish I was born in the 1950's so I could be dead by now.

I was born in the 1990s hun.

• Kathy

I was born in the late 50''s, and I do not remember them.

Since I was born in 1957, I only have extremely vague memories of what the 50's were like. And that ought to be valid for the majority of people born in the 50's since, on average, they would have been 5 in 1960.

How was it? Well, not much different than in the early 1960's.

The TV was only black and white. There was no such thing as cable, and there was only limited options as far as programming goes.

Mind you, there was no reality show either, so you may consider that the 2 or 3 good programs running at any time had more or less an equivalent back then; what was missing is the garbage and fluff that populated the other 200 channels.

People actually read books.

No internet, no cell phone, so people could pay attention when driving; except that people were often drunk and driving, and there were no seat belts.

Flats were common occurrences, and tires lasted 2 years top before requiring changing, while today, tires would last 4 times as long and flats are extremely rare.

Was was cheap, but all gars were guzzlers, and to make thing worse, gasoline was full of lead, which is neuro-toxic, so perhaps people may had been intellectually affected as a result. Mind you, people smoked all the time, even in hospital. In the early 1960's, in my primary school, grade 2 (therefore with kids 6 to 7 years old) the frigging teacher was chain smoking in our face. She probably died long ago...

What else?

The space race was on, but people were scared of the Russian and THEIR bombs.

Same as today with Putin, basically.

Jet aircraft could carry you across the Atlantic in six hours, but people were promising that, in 10 to 15 years, we'd all go supersonic... not much change on that front.

People who wrote in newspaper and books had to have real talent, since the opportunities were more limited and publishers had to be selective. Today, anyone with internet access can write a blog or post completely pointless pictures of what they had for lunch, and who frigging should care?

There was as much quality work then as there is today (actually, today there is a bit more, since you have the quality work of the 1950's, of the 1960's, and of the 1970's, 80's etc. so that piles up a bit). The difference is that the garbage produced every year is far more important in volume than the good stuff, and you have to sort out through 10 times as much trash before you can find something worth watching, listening or reading.

So, in the end, what differs is that you have more choices today. What didn't change is that you don't have any more time, so in the end, you are making the same choices that people did 60 years ago. Unless you like garbage.

• .

Our sandwiches contained leftover chicken (or slices of bolony!); we did not have cooler bags style lunchboxes or ice bricks and yet we survived without salmonella poisoning.

We rode bikes without helmets, adult supervision or special bike paths and we only ended up with scraped knees

Our mothers wiped our faces with spit, not an antibacterial wipe.

We ate sausage rolls and donuts from the tuckshop, yet we were wiry and fast.

Our trampolines didn’t have safety nets – sometimes we would even make them more slippery with water and dishwashing soap!Mom’s didn’t fight our battles.

What was said on the playground, stayed on the playground

.We went on camps and excursions without our parents having to sign indemnity forms.

Kids were the ones who got scared before parent-teacher meetings, not the teachers.Helping Mom with the dishes was just as important as homework and sport practice

.Birthday parties consisted out of a sponge cake, jelly oranges (if your mom was really dedicated!) Nik Naks and Fanta, not fruit kebabs, face painting and event planners.

We built our own treehouses and forts, they weren’t purchased from a shop.

If you did badly in a test, you got a talking to, not a cuddle and a promise that your parents would talk to the teacher.

A playdate was walking to a friend’s house and ringing the doorbell.

There was no padding on rugby post

I'd give a good helpful answer to this question.

but you posted it anonymously, like a cowardly terrorist, so piss off.

• K8

I was born in the 1960s.

I was not born in the 1950s.