Anonymous

Does having a college degree affect my chances of getting a retail job?

I have a BA in Game Design but, I don't want to work in as a game designer anymore because I have for three years and I want to do something else which is retail. On my resume I listed my work experience and my college degree but some people tell me that I shouldn't put those on there because the managers will think "Hey look, he has a college degree. He's just going to ditch us when he gets a better job." I don't know if this is true or not since I've never worked in retail.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Yes that will happen, and I am proof of it. I have a BS, and I have been an enginer for years.  They had an easy tech job just a short ride from my home by train.  I can accept a lower salary if I need not drive every day.  Sadly, they said no and hired someone with a lot less quailifications.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yeah. If I had two people with similar experience. I would go with the college graduate. 

• 1 month ago

First, you need to consider that retail is in decline, with many stores closing. Many retail chains as well as smaller local retailers simply cannot compete with online ordering & delivery. This means fewer & fewer jobs, a trend which is likely to continue.

Assuming you know a lot about computers, etc, you perhaps could better position yourself in computer sales, including retailers which sell computers, peripherals, & related technologies.

• drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Why would you want a retail job?  Low pay, terrible hours, working holidays. Standing on your feet all day.  

No it wouldn’t matter much to them that you have a Bachelor degree.  Some store managers have a Bachelor degree. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Only to the extent you'll be management-track immediately, over people without degrees that have worked there for years.

• 1 month ago

No because they dont care and turn over is high regardless. They just care about your sales. I have a masters and worked at Macys for awhile.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.