why do we replace items that still function?

SILLY PEOPLE believe that SENSOR CODES mean the PARTS are nbad, and NOT theat they may only be DIRTY and r3equire cleaning up! BYE NOW!

dont know why you can tell me

In most cases it is called "preventative maintenance". Like a fuel pump that usually dies before 100K miles and you are at 150K miles. Better to replace it before it fails and you are 200 miles from nowhere. Replacing tires before they reach the bare minimum legal tread depth (which is almost a bald tire) will help you get better traction on wet roads and snow. Changing the motor oil every six months instead of once in a great while (some people go years on an oil change) will keep the engine running cleaner and keep the internal wear and tear at a minimum. Same with other fluids since they all have an optimum or minimum life expectancy. 

Some people, however, change parts in an attempt to repair an engine running problem and they don't have a proper diagnoses. So, they just replace parts they think might remedy the problem. 

It's just a good idea in some cases. I replace a car battery every 3 years. I drive a lot, and I don't want to get stuck out in the middle of Nevada 200 miles from ANYWHERE, with mo cell phone service, a bad alternator, and a dead battery. There are also other car parts that should be changed periodically, whether they're worn out or not.

• noname3 weeks agoReport

I have several alts over 100K, worked Fine. . The ND unit needed bushes, but still worked. They wear out faster than a Delco's.

• Anton

" There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do. "

Question:  " Why do we replace items that still function? "

Answer:  When you * NEED* something to work, you replace it when is it only mostly dead.

If you are Lily White, you don't want to be on the side of the road, at night, raining, in Watts CA,

If you are not Lily White, you don't want to be on the side of the road, anytime, in Torrance CA,

Infidelity........divorce. Somebody else's problem.

• Mark

That, apparently, is what we have been programmed to do.  That, and designers now make it almost IMPOSSIBLE to fix something (you know, like "turning the engine of a car sideways and burying the spark plugs below a whole bunch of other things that have to be removed, making a 5 minute job and 5 HOUR job", or "manufacturing ceiling fans with integral lights, so you can't just replace a bulb, but have to replace the whole unit".)

• noname, my wife once had a Datsun 310GX. little front wheel drive car.  I changed the clutch twice in that car.  Easy as pie, the car didn't even have to be on a lift, you did it from the topside under the hood.

Because people who make stuff want you to buy more so they can make more profit.  

It all depends on what and why.  Last spring I replaced my central air conditioning system.  It was old, inefficient, and kept losing refrigerant.  But it still worked.  If it broke in the middle of July it would have been awful.

I am asking for its answer.