Diana
Lv 7
Diana asked in Social ScienceSociology · 1 month ago

What is a normal person? Does normalcy exist, or is it just a variety of opinions?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Jesere
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Look up the sociological bell curve, this explains what normal is.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Bobo
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Gay people take great exception to the notion of "normal".  You are referring to a case where you really mean average.  That is what is most common with respect to human characteristics--fat, skinny, tall, short, ugly, good-looking, smart, dumb, clumsy, deft, loud, quiet, dishonest, honest, etc.  Normalcy exists in numbers.  Look up the bell curve and you will find that normal exists for every characteristic.  You will find that very few people fit into the majority in every category.  

• 1 month ago

I can't remember where I read it, but if I remember correctly it went something like this:  no human can ever be normal because there are so many ideas of what normal is.  It can vary from country to country.  The definition of normal can vary so much.  The most important thing is to live within your individual and society's  expectations and do nothing to harm another person or yourself.  

• 1 month ago

As there are so many different interpretations of what 'normal' equates, then it's hard to pinpoint what normal is!  Everyone has to find their own 'normal', it doesn't have to be the same as other's own opinion!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

normal sometimes is a lame excuse for people who don't make real choices. You say people should accept your behaviour because "everybody does it"

• rick
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It seems to be a consensus of opinions. Not sure if "normal" is actually desirable.

• Carson
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

We are all varying degrees of normal. Some just vary wildly.

• 1 month ago

Normal in this case describes individual behavior that conforms to the most common behavior in society.

• Vicki
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

I mean, normal is the kind of people who conform. Follow the rules, don't do anything out of the ordinary. Etc. I think it exists but it's very boring.

• 1 month ago

"Normal" is a concept that we are all supposed to be aiming at but I strongly suspect that none of us ever achieve it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.