Sometimes I worry I'm going to faint because of my anxiety disorder or something will happen to my heart. Can this happen?

I'm a woman in my mid twenties and I get bad panic and anxiety attacks ...can I faint or get heart problems from this?

Favorite Answer

Unless you have an underlying condition, a panic attack will neither cause you to faint nor have a heart attack. The probable reason that you feel that way, is it when we have a panic attack we breathe with our chest and that sometimes causes our chest muscles to ache. Alsi, when we breathe that way, we don't get a lot of oxygen to our brain so we start to feel light-headed and can't think straight. So, next time you have a panic attack just try to breathe more normally with your belly, not your chest and tell yourself it's only a panic attack and I'll be okay after a few minutes. Panic attacks feel very bad, but they're quite harmless. You could look up diaphragmatic breathing if you want to breathing technique that can be helpful for panic attacks.

• Thank you! This answer really helps put me at ease! I appreciate it.

I've had the same fears and just keep telling yourself God loves you and will not let that happen.

Its possible anxiety can cause you to faint, but you are likely to have plenty of warning symptoms that will allow you to sit down, change your breathing, etc to avoid fainting.  It does not cause heart problems, even though you might feel like your heart is going to explode..  

Ironically, the fear of fainting is often what causes anxiety to escalate.   So, switch your thinking to  accepting that you might faint.  Don't worry about it - direct your thoughts to something like this:  "crap i am having another anxiety attack i guess i may as well get ready to feel like i am going to pass out."  Then relax, control your breathing and  wait for the feelings to improve a bit.   You could even plan how you would deal with passing out if it happened. 

Not directly, no, that is a worry you should jettison.